Set up access permission based on request type for agents

anyuw May 30, 2018

I want to setup access permission based on the request type for different agents. Right now, the security is setup on project level - this means, all agents have the same access to all requests created for that project.

In my example, John and Jane are agents for Project ABC, and Project ABC has three request types - ab, cd, ef; Sarah is the agent for Project DEF, and Project DEF has 2 request types - ac, bd. Questions are:

1. How to give Sarah access to request type ab for Project ABC?

2. How to restrict John to only see request type cd for Project ABC?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2018

Anyuw,

Have you tried using components? 

Victor

0 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2018

think the easiest way to do this would be with security levels. We use this regularly here for JUST this case. Additionally, this provides the granularity to allow previously visible issue types to be migrated to another to restrict access later if need be.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-issue-level-security-861253265.html

anyuw May 30, 2018

Hi Mile, this guide does say how to setup a security level on the issue if the agent is the person creating the issue. But what I need is customer creates the request for a certain request type and then the request will automatically go to a certain agent. .

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2018

Ah... yes... I didn't read the OTHER bit...

There are actually two things at play there. The security levels (which are not just security; can be used for more granular access to issues in a variety of projects) can do the bit where Sarah can only see ab in ABC while John can see cd in ABC. The security level can be set as part of a post function (including on create).

The OTHER bit (as I read it but do correct me if I am wrong) is to ASSIGN ab to Sarah and cd to John. If you haven't added it yet, I highly recommend adding Jira Misc Workflow Extensions plugin to your instance. That would provide easy to use post functions that, on create could check for the issue type (probably a simple groovy script) and set the assignee based on its results.

That would give you the two legged thing you're looking for: Restricting access to issue types based on who should see what AND assigning certain issue types to specific humans.

Suggest an answer