JIRA restart fails - cannot load system add-ons

Simon R. March 12, 2018

Hi,

this issue occurs on our live JIRA installation.

In the far past we were able to restart JIRA very quickly by simply restarting the Windows service in case of need.

In the near past we do not even try to do this anymore and keep the fingers crossed no bug or similar will occur as quick restarting fails every time and we always get problems with system add-ons. Messages were like "add-ons could no be loaded".

On 10th Feb. 2018 we moved to a new location and it takes our system administartor the whole day to get JIRA up and running again on the same server.

Hard- and software did not changed, the whole hardware was just moved to another location.

We kindly would like to know what the cause is. We ask you if you could have a look into our logs to identify the reason. Some of us guess that AntiVirus program is blocking some system add-ons, but our responsible system admin tells us that this can not be the case.

--> Could you please read the logs and give us some hints what the cause is/might be?

In case of further questions/details please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards

Simon

JIRA & Confluence administartor

P.S. Please contact me then I can provide the log files as I can not attach them simply here.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2018

Your responsible system admin is wrong about anti-virus software.  It is a proven fact that anti-virus software on windows machines can interfere with the loading of java files (i.e. add-ons), both slowing them down to the point of unusability, or just blocking access completely.

That said, it could well be something totally unrelated to anti-virus.  You absolutely need to test this with AV disabled (not that I'd recommend running a server without it, but if you can turn it off to test, it would either tell you it is the problem or rule it out entirely)

We can't look into your logs.  We're just end-users of Atlassian software, and we have no access to your systems.

Simon R. March 12, 2018

thx - yes I know that you can't look into our logs. I already have opened a ticket in Atlassians Service Desk.

This is the community here (this I already get)

Suggest an answer