JIRA - display name on outgoing mail

Shannon Davis February 3, 2016

I just changed the account from which we send JIRA outgoing mail, if only because I was able to configure incoming mail with the new account,and I would like people to be able to "reply-to" and have comments added to their issue.

Since I made the change, the Display From went from "Davis, Shannon (JIRA)" for example to "Enterprise JIRA", which is the display name of that mailbox.  It was nice because I could see who had made the issue change, or added a comment, and then I knew whether I really had to read that or not.

I can't see any way to get it back, nor did I change anything beyond changing the account.

I am on version 6.3.12 if it matters.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I think I figured it out - Gabrielle.

Prior to this, the account was not authenticating and was just sending mail out without authenticating.

Once I added authentication with the new account, I believe that was over-writing any header that JIRA came up with.

I have removed the authentication and will test to see if this works.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2016

Where did you make the change? Did you change the "From:" Email address in your Project Notification Scheme OR did you change it in your SMTP Server so that a particular account will display "Enterprise JIRA" instead of an actual person? Check both of these.

I only changed the From email address, but I also added authentication. However, your answer gave me the clue I needed to think about what else had changed.  Apparently adding smtp authentication will allow the smtp server to over-ride whatever JIRA sends.

Like Atlasus Ksiduro likes this

Suggest an answer