How to prevent JIRA Fix Version field from automatically creating new versions

Aaron Carlson February 21, 2017

When I type something into the Fix Version field in JIRA that is not a valid version, JIRA doesn't give any indication and simply creates a new version.  Previously, the only way to create a new version was from the Project Administration / Manage Versions area.

Is there a way to disable this "on-the-fly" creation functionality and make JIRA reject invalid text in the Fix Version field?  The problem is we create a new version about every 3-4 months but type into the Fix Version field many times a day.  Often, someone misspells the version name or types the wrong text into it thinking it is a different field.  This causes a bunch of work to now discover and delete the invalid version(s) that JIRA auto-created.  We already have the permission set as selectively as possible and this is still a problem.  Thanks!

I just played around a little more and discovered this is a bigger problem than just Fix Version.  This same issue affects the Component and Affects Version fields.

2 answers

0 votes

It appears Atlassian calls this "on-the-fly" creation.  It took me a lot of searching to find this out.  I also found another question about this from the perspective of components:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/317066

There is also a ticket to disable this error-prone functionality.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-42068

0 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2017

>  Previously, the only way to create a new version was from the Project Administration / Manage Versions area.

I guess that before you (or your colleagues) were not listed under project admin role. Only project admins can create inline versions and components.

Always been a Project Admin.  My guess is JIRA added support for creating new versions inline at some point.

Is there a way to disable "inline creation" ?  The only thing I would want this for are labels.

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2017

Is there a way to disable "inline creation" 

There is no. You have to remove yourself or your colleagues from projeact admin role.

I guess I'll create a ticket then.  This seems like a bug to me.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events