How to prevent JIRA Fix Version field from automatically creating new versions

When I type something into the Fix Version field in JIRA that is not a valid version, JIRA doesn't give any indication and simply creates a new version.  Previously, the only way to create a new version was from the Project Administration / Manage Versions area.

Is there a way to disable this "on-the-fly" creation functionality and make JIRA reject invalid text in the Fix Version field?  The problem is we create a new version about every 3-4 months but type into the Fix Version field many times a day.  Often, someone misspells the version name or types the wrong text into it thinking it is a different field.  This causes a bunch of work to now discover and delete the invalid version(s) that JIRA auto-created.  We already have the permission set as selectively as possible and this is still a problem.  Thanks!

I just played around a little more and discovered this is a bigger problem than just Fix Version.  This same issue affects the Component and Affects Version fields.

2 answers

>  Previously, the only way to create a new version was from the Project Administration / Manage Versions area.

I guess that before you (or your colleagues) were not listed under project admin role. Only project admins can create inline versions and components.

Always been a Project Admin.  My guess is JIRA added support for creating new versions inline at some point.

Is there a way to disable "inline creation" ?  The only thing I would want this for are labels.

Is there a way to disable "inline creation" 

There is no. You have to remove yourself or your colleagues from projeact admin role.

I guess I'll create a ticket then.  This seems like a bug to me.

It appears Atlassian calls this "on-the-fly" creation.  It took me a lot of searching to find this out.  I also found another question about this from the perspective of components:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/317066

There is also a ticket to disable this error-prone functionality.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-42068

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published 2 hours ago in Trello

Alice Camilla on organizing your work/life/fandoms with Trello!

@Alice Camilla is a university student, currently writing her MA thesis in Archaeology. She's also a freelance blogger and content creator, writing about geeky stuff from productivity apps to JR...

26 views 1 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you