How to not display field type data in JQL advanced search

InspectorD
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2020

Greetings everyone,

I recently found when using advanced search in Jira Cloud, JQL criteria always added field type information after custom field's name automaticaly. Is there any way to hide this information to avoid confuse users?

jql-field_type-display.png

Best regards,

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2020

Hi @InspectorD,

Personally I found this to be very helpful as we have many field names that are very similar in name and this helped ensure I was selecting the right field in my JQL search.  I can understand how not everyone would feel the same way.

I'm not aware of any configuration setting that would allow this to be turned off.  You might want to raise this as a suggestion to Atlassian here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/

-Jimmy

InspectorD
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2020

Hi @Jimmy Seddon 

Thanks for your answer. Indeed, it's friendly when searching and identifying fields with similar names but have different field type in JQL search. (personally)

However, not everyone can adapt to search a custom field that having field type information, especially for users who migrating from server/data center version to cloud.

I will try to raise suggestion to Atlassian.

Have a nice day,

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2020

I find it useful sometimes, but I don't like how it has been done, and I know it makes it harder to read a query.

My design would have been to have some highlight that can show it, not insert text in yet more bracket-type things in the same font and colour, maybe an informational line below the search instead?  I'm not a UX person, I can see that I don't like the current design, not sure how to do it better though.

Let us know if you raise a suggestion, I'll vote for it.

Like John Funk likes this
InspectorD
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2020

The request has been submitted (hopefully I didn't write it wrong), hope to gather enough comments and suggestions as it's really a huge project from server migrate to cloud, any improvements that help reduce the workload and better user experience would be very useful.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75673

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Carrie Hunt January 5, 2024

They closed that one ^

Suggest an answer