How to change a ParentIssueStatus based on SubTaskIssueStatus with 2 different workflows?

Jessica Debonzi November 1, 2018

Hello,

I have a plugin Jira Misc Workflow Extensions installed, however, when I try to set my workflow up with the "transition parent issue", I just get success in part of the workflow.

SubTask Workflow:
To do -> Doing -> Code Review -> Done

I would like to move the parentIssue from "Doing" to "Ready for testing" (the stories have a different workflow) when all the sub-tasks are in "DONE" in its respective workflow.

Between To do-> Doing worked, but at the end Code Review -> Done doesn't.

Do you know how I can do that?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2018

You need to:

- use the Transition Parent Issue post-function the same way you did for the To do -> Doing transition, but specify the "Doing" to "Ready for testing" transition in the configuration (by ID or by name)

- add a subtasks blocking condition on the "Doing" to "Ready for testing" transition of the story workflow to only allow it when all subtasks are in the "Done" status.

Jessica Debonzi November 2, 2018

Hi David, thanks for your answer.
Should I do that in the subtasks workflow or in the parentIssues workflow? Because in the subtasks it's not working and I don't know how to do it in the parentissues.

Hi David, I tried to add a "Transition the current issue" on the ParentIssue Workflow and even that doesn't work.

The transition is just working between To -> Doing when a subtask is moved, but not when I move the subtask to Done and I would like to transit the Story to "Ready for testing"

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2018

The Transition Parent Issue post-function is always on the subtask workflow, since you want to automatically transition the parent issue when the subtask is transitioned.

The other thing that you need to pay attention to is whether there are fields that are required on the parent transition (e.g. the Resolution field) - if so, you need to provide a value for them in the configuration of the Transition Parent Issue post-function.

If you activate error reporting (for that post-function, at the bottom of the configuration screen, or globally on the JMWE configuration page), you'll receive an explicit error during the subtask transition.

Thanks again for your support.

I'm using the "Default Field Configuration" where I guess all the required field are: Epic Name, Issue Type, Reporter

and
Summary. Resolution is not one of them, however, I set it up as "Done" to subtasks in the status "Subtask Done" and to parentIssues "Unresolved".

Continue not working :(

The log says that "Found no transition available for issue NMP2-129 with name or id 'Subtask done'"

Attached you can find some of the screenshots.

Hello, I just found an answer in another post https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-questions/Transition-a-parent-issue-using-JMWE-add-on/qaq-p/916978

It's working now.

Thanks a lot

Suggest an answer