Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I use Jira Wiki Markup in new rich text editor?

I have text snippets formatted with Jira Wiki Markup I use for adding test steps as comments on my Jira tickets.  They cover some standard boilerplate, as well as headings and other formatting.  However, in the new Issue View, the description and comment fields default to a rich text editor, and I don't see a way to switch back.  When I paste my snippets, they get all screwed up.  I was able to work around the issue by switching back to the old view, but I expect that's going away soon.

The new rich text editor is nice, but we need an easy way to switch between plain text and rich text.

5 answers

I absolutely loathe being forced to use the new editor in comment fields on cloud JIRA.

Want to paste something with bullets into a quote ? It chops it apart.

Want to set the width on an image ? No obvious way to do it.

Select some text and try to turn it into a quote ? It creates a quote field below the text.

Want to indicate that something is {{code}} inline ? Won't do it.

Want to capture a bunch of links using Wiki Markup style and paste them ? The new system mangles them.

Have any kind of Wiki Markup template code from before an want to use it ? You can now chuck it in the bin. 

On and on an on. Annoyance after annoyance.

And the claim that you can reliably use the Wiki Markup and just paste it in still is patent nonsense.

An incredibly irritating and unnecessary change that can only annoy code-oriented JIRA users and developers, and all that is needed is a button to enable you to switch to markdown (which is apparently not available on the cloud version for reasons that beggar belief).

Atlassian, this one you got terribly, terribly, wrong.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Brant Schroeder Community Leader Feb 27, 2019

If rich text editor is enabled then you have to toggle at the bottom.  You can also disable rich text editor if you would rather just use text.

I don't see a toggle between rich text and plain text.  Here's what the comment editor looks like for me:2019-02-27_12h29_26.pngAm I missing something?

Brant Schroeder Community Leader Feb 27, 2019

Looks like you are using cloud, if that it true then markup went away with the new wysiwyg editor.

Like T Chambers likes this

Well that sucks.

Another cool feature of the WYSIWYG editor: if you paste something in there, and it doesn't like it for some reason, it won't tell you why, and it won't save your content.  No way to resolve without switching to old view with the editor that actually works.

Like # people like this

I thought it would suck, too, but then I copied the text from Jira's rich text editor into a Google Doc and was pleased that the rich text is preserved. As long as I can export this easily, I don't miss the markup language. It was different between Jira and Confluence and IIRC neither was fully compatible with "official" Markdown (markdownguide.org) anyway. Good riddance. Good job, Atlassian, this is progress!

We see several users who end up posting poorly-formatted comments in JIRA (server, v7.13.5) that becomes harder to read as a result of using the "Visual" mode (a.k.a., Rich Text Editor).

Just like what I'm typing right now, the RTE should also not try to be smart with line spacing.  Let users figure out how the line spacing should be between paragraphs.

I do not appreciate the fact that if you make the mistake of just touching a key while in Visual mode, JIRA changes the markdowns that you've carefully composed in "Text" mode (e.g., bullet point asterisks become indented, {{bq.}} replaced with {{\{quote\}}}s, etc.).

The old (read-only) "Preview" + "Text" possible modes work better for us.

That sounds strange to me. It's "what you see is what you get" (WYSIWYG) for good reason. If you are writing and don't like what you're going to get from what you see, then edit until you like what you see … and you will get it!

For instance, I instinctively hit return twice between paragraphs. But I did not like what I saw / got, so I edited more.

Or maybe I'm not understanding your complaint, @Paul T

For instance, I instinctively hit return twice between paragraphs. But I did not like what I saw / got, so I edited more.

If I only hit Return once, the line spacing isn't tall enough between paragraphs, i.e., don't separate the paragraphs enough.

If I hit Return twice, it's too tall.

What if WYSIWYDU (Deem Unacceptable)?

There must be a better CSS for that, e.g., get rid of that top margin of 12 pixels for paragraphs (to allow users to manually/explicitly insert an empty line) or, if really wanting to save people from having to hit Enter twice, make that margin be taller.

The easiest is to just let users hit Return twice like what you said most of us have "instinctively" been doing for years.

I used to be championing JIRA but no longer during the last 2-3 years with the various UI iterations Atlassian has been doing.

May I know why my comments have been deleted without notice @Brant Schroeder ? :/

(This post was initially published on 2019-07-11 but got deleted for no reason/explanation)

I'm also deeply annoyed by the new WYSIWYG, for the following reasons:

• Impossible to move {code} blocs. Once created, there's no way to move (cut/paste) it somewhere else.
  • The new {code} block can no longer be collapsed/expended. Pasting large portion of text (logs for example) will create a huge post, thus forcing users to excitedly scroll down (I know I could use attached files for that)
  • The new {code} block breaks on some character sequences. Some pasting failed  (but I can't seem to reproduce)
  • The typing zone expends with the content, while the editor bar remains on top of the post, meaning I have to scroll all the way up to hit a button and then scroll all the way down to put the content.
  • No link to post. Where's the anchor ? How am I supposed to share link to a specific comment now ?
  • Link preview is broken in some case (when the source website requires authentication for example) and I found it rarely relevant. It would be nice to have an option or a 3rd button to disable it.
  • Link preview prevents links edition. Once you paste a link, it got transformed to display the preview, there's no way to edit it.

And the list goes on.

I've been extensively testing the new editor for ~ a week now and I can't help myself but to switch to the old one.

@Brant Schroederplease consider all the people comfortable with typing markup tag and leave them the choice of using the new WYSIWYG or type the markup directly.

On the bright side, here's what I like about the new editor:

• Content autosave !! Macbook user suffering from the touchbar will appreciate it for sure
  • Table creation is pretty neat
  • Image integration has been improved
0 votes

I have the same kind of use case and rich text only broke it. The issue is more than a year old and this week they also broke the workaround - issues aren't being rendered in old view mode. I guess atlassian doesn't care.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

3,881 views 11 5
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you