How do I remove inactive users from all references?

Rajat Sethi March 27, 2018

Hi Team,

Is there a way to remove an inactive user from all references of a JIRA project. We have a few custom user picker fields like "Stakeholders", "Owners", etc that have multiple user values. Some of these users are no longer with our organization and we would want to remove their references from these fields. 

I do not see a bulk edit option to achieve this. What would be the best way to achieve this?

Thanks,

Rajat 

1 answer

0 votes
Deleted user March 27, 2018

Hi @Rajat Sethi,

The best method would be bulk edit otherwise it becomes a manual task. I am not sure if there is a plugin that could achieve your requirements.

Are the global permissions and project permissions configured correctly for you to be able bulk edit?

Hope this helps.

Hi @[deleted],

Thanks for your reply. The problem here is 

1. First, I cannot list all the issues that have that inactive user as a "Stakeholders". JQL does not identify the inactive user as a valid value.

2. If I use a JQL like - "stakeholders in inactiveUsers()", I get a bunch of issues. However I cannot bulk edit them as there is no option to only remove the inactive user while keeping the active ones in every listed JIRA issue.

Thanks,

Rajat 

Deleted user March 27, 2018

You could try one of the following plugins from the related article: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Finding-Issues-Owned-by-Inactive-Users-with-JQL/qaq-p/249236 

OR

You could navigate to user admin > Users, and search for all inactive users, make a note of their names, and set up a JQL in JIRA that finds all issues with those names. Once that is done you can change the user fields to something else, such as Unassigned or assign to a relevant user.

Hope this helps.

Hi Danny,

Unfortunately, this would not work as even if I get the issue list for bulk edits, there are a bunch of stakeholders for each issues. I do not get any option to retain the active ones and remove only the inactive user. (Each issue can have a different set of stakeholders). I am thinking of using REST API calls or write a Groovy script to get this done. 

Thanks for your inputs. 

Rajat

Lingesh BN March 25, 2022

Hi Rajat,

Have you resolved this, let me know how.

regards

Lingesh

Suggest an answer