How do I prevent duplicate tickets being created from email?

Nic Robertson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 23, 2018

Hello,

I have a strange issue, where if I have agents email our email handle (which points to a JIRA Helpdesk Project) - two duplicate tickets get created. One is a "task' issue type, and one is a service request (which is supposed to happen). 

I have no automation or outlook rules for the mailbox, and if I have customer's whom are not using licenses, email the same email handle - there is only one single ticket (which is what I want). 

I am not sure if this is a bug or not. I did some google-fu and the only thing I could somewhat find is that emails are pointed to is that there is two email handlers . This doesn't make sense, as my customers whom email my service desk email - don't create duplicate tickets, only people with helpdesk licenses do.

Would someone please shed some light on something I might of overlooked?

Thanks in advance,

Robbie

2 answers

0 votes
Chhaya Gadade January 17, 2019

Hi Team,

In my case,Jira is creating duplicate tickets when customer raising the request from portal.Only for one request type.

Do you have any solution for it?

0 votes
Pedro Souza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2018

Hello Nic,

Nice to have you here in our community, welcome!

This issue that you have described is normally seen in our support ticket cases when there is a Mail Handler configured for a Service Desk project, and in the same time, the Email Requests settings are enabled for this same project.

Since you mention that only one of those duplicated tickets has the Service Desk request type as expected, I suspect it could be the case here as well.

I suggest you to try bypassing any email handler configured for this project, by browsing to Administration >> System >> Mail >> Incoming Mail, then test if the same issue is still happening with Email requests configurations enabled.

Please, let me know how it goes!

Kind regards,

Pedro Souza.

Suggest an answer