Getting custom field value in an email and assign it to new ticket through mail handler?

Yeoh Tun Liang November 8, 2015

I'm trying to create a custom mail handler that works like mail handler provided by JIRA but with extra features which allow mail handler to capture the custom field value in the email and automatically assign these values to the corresponding custom field.

Is it possible to do so by creating a new plugin or I have to do it through script? 

2 answers

0 votes
Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2015

Hi Yeoh, 

I tried myself the JIRA Email This Issue Plugin. You are able to define rules for initialisation of fields.

http://www.meta-inf.hu/wiki/display/PLUG/Field+Contexts

Plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.metainf.jira.plugin.emailissue

Hope it helps.

Cheers, 

Mario

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2015

Mail handlers are mostly implemented as add-ons, and that is the easiest way to do it.  Scripting depends on what scripting add-ons you have installed.

There's a few resources I'd point you at, but as you say you want to create a handler, I suspect a walkthrough of coding one as an add-on is the best start - https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/guides/email/tutorial-custom-message-mail-handler-for-jira

I had gone through the tutorial and created a plugin based on the tutorial but what the tutorial taught is no where enough to satisfy what I wish to have in my custom handler.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2015

The tutorial is there to show you how to get the data from the incoming email. What you do with it is another step. All you've said is "capture custom field" - that's fine, but your code needs to call issue.setCustomFieldValue(cf, value) with good data to do that. Ok, you need to work out what cf is in there - it's a customfield object, and I usually use customFieldManager.getCustomFieldByName("my custom field") to fetch that, but there may be better ways. The bit I can't help you with is the value. The example code exposes all the data in the incoming email. What you process that into, I can't tell you.

The value you mentioned in issue.setCustomFieldValue(cf, value) is the value we obtained (for instance, "issueKey = params.get(KEY_ISSUE_KEY)" taught in tutorial) ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events