Default E-mail Notification Address

Peter Milakovich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2016

I've been reviewing the documentation, and it looks like you can set the default notification sender e-mail address at the mail server and project level.

In the documentation, it says you can leave them blank, but doesn't explain what happens in that scenario.

Without a sender, do the notifications fail?  Or does it default to whoever is making an update/change that would trigger a notification?

We intentionally do not have e-mail notifications turned on in our test environment, and I'm wary of playing with the settings in production without knowing what will happen.

We're being asked to change the default sender from a single specific e-mail address to the e-mail address of whoever triggered the notification, and I'm trying to find out if this is even possible.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2016

The default applies to all projects, except those where you set a different sender. If you leave it blank, it defaults to the default value. No emails can be sent without a sender, that would have been an obvious bug.

Changing the default/project email to the one of whoever triggerred the notification can't be done. It's unlikely this will ever be supported by JIRA without a custom plugin

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-7108

Edit: I don't even consider this a desirable feature. What you're trying to do is to take a JIRA notification and remove the rest of the conversation from JIRA. I don't think this is good practice in a collaborative tool. There are better options.

What you should do is set up issue creation through email by setting up mail handlers. That way, when you reply to the notification, you're adding a comment in the original issue. Watchers and whomever else gets notified. 

Suggest an answer