Can't add standard "Status" field to issue navigator

This question was raised here. However the resolution is not satisfactory.

In the issue navigation (Issues>Search Issues), when trying to add the default field "Status" as a column to my table of results, I search "Status" I get the response of  “33 more options. Continue typing to refine further.”

I cannot refine the search any further as I am looking for "Status" but the options presented in the list are various fields containing the word "status".

Suggestions made in the other question:

1. Remove the other fields with "status" in - This is not an option, they are in use.
  2. Edit the HTML of the page - I have not been able to successfully achieve this, nor should I have to.

I'm not an admin.

Jira v7.2.7

1 answer

0 votes

Option 1 is still the right thing to do.  You have "fielditis" and that's going to cause you other problems in the long run.

There is no "fix" for this, and as far as I can see, Atlassian have no plans to do anything about it.

What we are seeking is a workaround for those of us who have no control over the fields that get defined in a large organization. At a minimum, an exact match for your search should always appear at the top of the results.

Nic, I do see the "fielditis" issue and it wouldn't be my way of working.

As Randy says, I have no control over the whole organisation, its a large multinational organisation (100,000+ employees) with a huge number of projects. I can see around 70+ Projects, plus there are those with more restricted access that I can't see.

It's unrealistic that I'll get so many fields removed - an exact match would be ideal.

I would be surprised if what Randy and I are experiencing is an edge case

I'm afraid it probably is an edge case - Atlassian simply haven't had enough people complain to make it worth while going back to the previous UI (which had a workaround) or engineering something else that solves it.  And their answer for a workaround currently is, sadly, pretty much just "fix your fielditis"

In my organization, one of the admins did provide us a workaround that may work for other large orgs. We now have a template report available that does include the Status column, which we can then customize and do a Save As so that the column is included. We were fortunate to have an admin sensitive to the issue. It's not an ideal approach, and still exposes a flaw in the product, but we are at least able to show this basic information in reports once more.

Hi Randy,

I'm glad you have managed to workaround this issue. I would be really interested to know either : How this template report was created or even what it looks like/ where in Jira you find it so I can attempt to replicate. I currently have temporary admin rights to deal with some other issues and clean up.

Thanks

+1 for a proper fix to this issue.

Saying "you need to delete some of your fields" is akin to "you're holding it wrong" 

As others have said; we (as JIRA users in a gigantic multi-national development organization) don't have control over who creates what custom fields. And we certainly can't start telling other teams to delete theirs because there's too many with "Status" in the name.

As Randy says, it's a pretty simple fix; put the fields that match the search exactly at the top of the list, then those that start with the search string, then those that contain the search string.

The "proper fix" remains fix your fielditis.  It's not just this one thing it is affecting.  A good Jira admin *will* go to other teams and tell them they have and/or are causing a problem.

There is another workaround, assuming your admins haven't let poor configuration creep too far.  Click "defaults" on the filter and then reconfigure again, remembering not to remove status.  The default default includes the system status.

We have 140,000+ employees, thousands of projects that I have access to and, I assume, thousands more that I am not permitted to see, and they span a massive range of products and disciplines.

It follows, almost inevitably, that there are going to be a large number of custom fields with similar names. When I first click the Columns dropdown, it tells me that there are 1188 more options!

By using the HTML-hacking solution ( https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Can-t-add-standard-quot-Status-quot-field-to-issue-navigator/qaq-p/352494 ) I was actually able to get the Status into my filter. But it would be much simpler if this UI were more scalable so that we don't have to resort to such technical workarounds.

Or you could ask your admins to fix your over-complex, counter-intuitive and anti-collaboration broken data patterns.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand how your organisation has got there, and why it's so hard to fix, both on the corporate stupidity, and provider ignorance, side of the argument.  I've spent <mumble> years working in exactly the same places.

I hate "fielditis".  It's a bad behaviour whatever the alleged justification, and large organisations fail miserably to understand that.  Equally, Atlassian fail miserably to understand that large organisations are going to screw up by falling into that bad behaviour.

I lean towards Atlassian's simplistic view a bit, although I do prefer the interface from a few versions back.  That interface made it horrid for people suffering fielditis, but they could get there with a bit of effort.  The newer one doesn't do it at all.
But I don't think Atlassian will change it , because the idea that a UI has to be "scalable" usually means "we've made it too complex to be of any real use".

I (and probably the others on this thread) have “asked my admin” fifty different ways, to no avail. I too dislike “fielditis” but it’s a fact of life in a gigantic organization. 

You’re right to conclude that Atlassian won’t fix it, as most of us poor slobs who use the product have also realized. It’s a shame that such a simple, single-line-of-code fix is too much to ask. 

I'd like them to go back to the previous implementation - you could at least work around that one.

> It’s a shame that such a simple, single-line-of-code fix is too much to ask. 

Amen to that!

Heck; they could even just change the "33 more options. Continue typing to refine further." message to contain a link allowing you to display the hidden options. As the HTML hack (mentioned above) proves; those options *are* there in the page, it's just that they're not available without jumping through hoops.

This is a serious problem for us as well. Again a large organization with perhaps hundreds of issue types. Why this can't get fixed by Atlassian is a mystery. I thought those happy, young folks over there would be happy to fix a serious problem for several customers. Especially for large customers who pay large license/support fees.

It’s a shame that such a simple, single-line-of-code fix is too much to ask. 

yeah, apparently it is an "Edge Case"

26qffg.jpg

As desirable as reducing excessive custom fields might be, it is not an option for many of us. Atlassian needs to add a simple "if" to the Columns chooser to list an exact match of the field search string FIRST in the list of fields.

In the meantime, see Mark Diamond's workaround at:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Can-t-add-standard-quot-Status-quot-field-to-issue-navigator/qaq-p/352494#M35109 

Nic Brough, we have the same issue, and all these fields are used and cannot be deleted. This is not an "Edge case", any large organization will run into this. 

If Atlassian wanted users to not have so many fields, then they should have put some limits on number of fields that users can create.  Since they didnt, it means users should be able to create AND utilize ANY field that they create.  So no need to lecture anyone about some "disease" that some group of user may possess.  If a product has a feature, then using that feature cannot be considered a "bad habit".

This issue needs to be fixed in a manner that allows users to get to any field that exists, in a user friendly manner. 

Also, what makes you so sure that the company wont fix this issue.  Have you opened a ticket on this? Have you received a response from developers with their reasoning for not fixing this?

It's no good trying to push all the blame on the application either.  This is a two part problem.

First, you've got broken processes or demands causing fielditis.  This disease you have is not just causing this one focussed problem, I can absolutely guarantee you it's causing problems across your reporting, your system usage and even culture.

Second, when you have this disease, Atlassian handles it badly.  I'm not questioning that it doesn't work and should really be fixed.  At the very least, the behaviour should be reverted back to the previous design, or better, the one before, where it coped fine.

There's not a lot of point in raising the issue again.  People have, and Atlassian closed it because the way it works now is their desired design.

The reason I lecture is simple - people just keep repeating the problem without admitting that they need to fix their fielditis.  When you've got the disease, it's pointless being in denial about it, and those of us trying to help can't do a lot else.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

138 views 3 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you