Can't add standard "Status" field to issue navigator window

Several of my designers have run into this lately after doing a search in Jira.  They review the ‘found’ issues in the Issue Navigator window and decide to add the standard “Status” field.   The problem: we have so many custom fields using the word: status so the filter select window only displays a subset of these fields and then tells you: “X more options. Continue typing to refine further.”   We can’t type anymore since we want the “Status” field.

I've asked my JIRA admin to delete any unused fields but he is a little gun shy that some other JIRA project owners might complain.  "Status" has got to be one of the most common words used in creating custom fields. A longer term fix is to have JIRA list the standard fields first in the filter select menu and then custom fields. (I'm not betting the farm on that one). My shorter term fix of deleting unused custom fields may be an uphill battle as well.

BTW, I tried hiding all those **status** custom fields using the project specific field configuration but the issue navigator window is agnostic to field configurations (i.e. ignores it).

Ideas, suggestions???

We are using JIRA 6.4.12

7 answers

1 accepted

Are you trying to get my to use the internal JIRA field reference ID?  Scary!

In any case, my JIRA admin actually came through for me and deleted some of the unused custom fields containing the word: status so I can now select the Status field.  Thanks for the help.

Click on the columns button. Then right click on any element to get to your browsers dev tool. Search for a input select element with id="user-column-sparkler" .. in the list options find status. Edit the html for that option and add attribute selected="selected". Then click the Done button on the column selector. You should see status in your filter/query output. 

Thanks so much! That worked for us! Is there a Jira Issue open for Atlassian to address in a fix?

Thank you for the workaround, Mark. That was very helpful.

For those unfamiliar with browser dev tools, here's an expanded explanation of Mark's process that works on CHROME with Jira v7.2.13. This process will presumably require tweaking for other browsers and/or versions of Jira.

1. Perform an issue query or click "View all issues and filters" to cause a list of issues to be displayed.
  2. Click on the "Columns" dropdown.
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the list.
  4. Right-click on the text "Continue typing to refine further". (You can actually right-click anywhere in the Columns chooser, but this puts you close to the tag you're going to be looking for in step 6.)
  5. Select "Inspect" (on Chrome). This should open a browser development window to the right where you can inspect and modify the page's HTML.
  6. In the "Elements" window at the top of the inspection area (on Chrome), scroll down until you see an element titled "<select id="user-column-sparkler"...>".
  7. Expand "user-column-sparkler".
  8. Expand "optgroup label" within it.
  9. Scroll down until you find the node "<option title="Status" value="status">Status</option>" (It may be necessary to click "Show all nodes" to see it.)
  10. Right-click on that node and select "Add attribute". Type: selected="selected". The node should now read: 
    "<option title="Status" value="status" selected="selected">Status</option>"
  11. Click "Done" back in the column chooser widget.
  12. The "Status" column should now appear in your issues list. It should not be necessary to repeat this.

This issue is not "solved" by any means. Eagerly awaiting a fix or workaround.

Bumping this critical issue again. 

100% Agree with Randy on this. This is not "Solved" and a massive issue.

I'm facing this issue - quite frankly it's ridiculous, why force a more detailed search, especially when the exact match search word isn't at the top.

Stop blaming the user for having too many fields - many of us work in a large organization and have no control whatsoever over the proliferation of fields.

Atlassian just needs to add a simple clause to the Columns picker widget's code:

if (search text is an EXACT match for one of the field names)
    display that field name FIRST in the results list, BEFORE the alphabetical results

How difficult can that possibly be?

This extremely simple fix would solve the issue. I work in an organization with tens of thousands of users on one Comfluence instance (sucks but we are stuck with it). There is a workaround posted above where you have to hack the HTML for the page, but the exact match fix would be far more desirable, and shouldn’t take a developer more than half a day to implement. 

Do this short cut.  Add XXX or any other characters temporarily upfront in the custom fields with Status.  After you add asked your team members to add the status in their navigator window you can rename them back. This is what we do now currently

If I understand correctly,

• I've typed: 'status' into the filter text field on the Issue Navigator window and it lists all my custom fields containing the word: status in the selection menu.
  • Then I type XXX in front of 'status' in the filter text field and all the fields disappear from the selection menu.
  • When I delete the XXX, the same custom fields appear and not "Status" field in the selection menu.

On the other hand, are you asking me to rename some or all the custom fields that have the word: status in them?  If so, I'm not the JIRA admin but a project owner only.  Renaming will cause a massive reindexing and I know exactly what my JIRA admin will say – NO!!!

Did I misunderstand you?  If not, are there any other ideas?

sorry that is for administrators.  can you try this after typing status = Try to enter the valid states in your workflow , by trail and error you may get the correct status field smile

Find issues with a status ID of 1:

status = 1

This did not work for us. I said that "status ID" was not a valid field:(

This is still an issue in my organization, and any updates would be appreciated. We do not have administrative control over custom fields, and there are dozens of them with the word "Status" in the label. So the actual Status column is never available to be chosen for a report. 

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira Service Desk

Wy are we still using email for Service Desk workflows?

...attest to the experience of an urgent approval that gets lost in the boss’s inbox and requires that special “Please Approve” email or text message. In an age where we have distributed teams...

113 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you