Several of my designers have run into this lately after doing a search in Jira. They review the ‘found’ issues in the Issue Navigator window and decide to add the standard “Status” field. The problem: we have so many custom fields using the word: status so the filter select window only displays a subset of these fields and then tells you: “X more options. Continue typing to refine further.” We can’t type anymore since we want the “Status” field.
I've asked my JIRA admin to delete any unused fields but he is a little gun shy that some other JIRA project owners might complain. "Status" has got to be one of the most common words used in creating custom fields. A longer term fix is to have JIRA list the standard fields first in the filter select menu and then custom fields. (I'm not betting the farm on that one). My shorter term fix of deleting unused custom fields may be an uphill battle as well.
BTW, I tried hiding all those **status** custom fields using the project specific field configuration but the issue navigator window is agnostic to field configurations (i.e. ignores it).
We are using JIRA 6.4.12
Are you trying to get my to use the internal JIRA field reference ID? Scary!
In any case, my JIRA admin actually came through for me and deleted some of the unused custom fields containing the word: status so I can now select the Status field. Thanks for the help.
Click on the columns button. Then right click on any element to get to your browsers dev tool. Search for a input select element with id="user-column-sparkler" .. in the list options find status. Edit the html for that option and add attribute selected="selected". Then click the Done button on the column selector. You should see status in your filter/query output.
Thank you for the workaround, Mark. That was very helpful.
For those unfamiliar with browser dev tools, here's an expanded explanation of Mark's process that works on CHROME with Jira v7.2.13. This process will presumably require tweaking for other browsers and/or versions of Jira.
While the workaround proposed by Mark Diamond did work, that seems like an awful hack on a product that is otherwise quite user-friendly for Project Owners to use. As has been mentioned several other times (in this thread and others, so I would hope you folks at Atlassian would have picked up on this), there are very often dozens or even hundreds of Project Owners that do not have control of the custom attributes in our Jira instance. This must be accounted for in all project administration user stories. Please try to keep this in mind!
I've raised this as a new "unsolved" question to see if it can get some traction.
Stop blaming the user for having too many fields - many of us work in a large organization and have no control whatsoever over the proliferation of fields.
Atlassian just needs to add a simple clause to the Columns picker widget's code:
if (search text is an EXACT match for one of the field names)
display that field name FIRST in the results list, BEFORE the alphabetical results
How difficult can that possibly be?
This extremely simple fix would solve the issue. I work in an organization with tens of thousands of users on one Comfluence instance (sucks but we are stuck with it). There is a workaround posted above where you have to hack the HTML for the page, but the exact match fix would be far more desirable, and shouldn’t take a developer more than half a day to implement.
If I understand correctly,
On the other hand, are you asking me to rename some or all the custom fields that have the word: status in them? If so, I'm not the JIRA admin but a project owner only. Renaming will cause a massive reindexing and I know exactly what my JIRA admin will say – NO!!!
Did I misunderstand you? If not, are there any other ideas?
This is still an issue in my organization, and any updates would be appreciated. We do not have administrative control over custom fields, and there are dozens of them with the word "Status" in the label. So the actual Status column is never available to be chosen for a report.
$("form.column-picker input[type='submit']").dispatchEvent(new MouseEvent('click'));
You may have to run this twice since I was too lazy to detect if the column menu has finished lazy loading (which is required for auto-submitting)
Everyone, please make some noise here to get this properly fixed: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Can-t-add-standard-quot-Status-quot-field-to-issue-navigator/qaq-p/659915#M31738
I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events