Can't add standard "Status" field to issue navigator window

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2016

Several of my designers have run into this lately after doing a search in Jira.  They review the ‘found’ issues in the Issue Navigator window and decide to add the standard “Status” field.   The problem: we have so many custom fields using the word: status so the filter select window only displays a subset of these fields and then tells you: “X more options. Continue typing to refine further.”   We can’t type anymore since we want the “Status” field.

I've asked my JIRA admin to delete any unused fields but he is a little gun shy that some other JIRA project owners might complain.  "Status" has got to be one of the most common words used in creating custom fields. A longer term fix is to have JIRA list the standard fields first in the filter select menu and then custom fields. (I'm not betting the farm on that one). My shorter term fix of deleting unused custom fields may be an uphill battle as well.

BTW, I tried hiding all those **status** custom fields using the project specific field configuration but the issue navigator window is agnostic to field configurations (i.e. ignores it).

Ideas, suggestions???

We are using JIRA 6.4.12

10 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2016

Are you trying to get my to use the internal JIRA field reference ID?  Scary!

In any case, my JIRA admin actually came through for me and deleted some of the unused custom fields containing the word: status so I can now select the Status field.  Thanks for the help.

Shawn Odegaard January 13, 2021

Too bad this answer was accepted.  It may work for you, but most instances probably don't have unused Status fields.

Like Nagyné Széles likes this
10 votes
wilburluce April 13, 2017

Click on the columns button. Then right click on any element to get to your browsers dev tool. Search for a input select element with id="user-column-sparkler" .. in the list options find status. Edit the html for that option and add attribute selected="selected". Then click the Done button on the column selector. You should see status in your filter/query output. 

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2017

Thanks so much! That worked for us! Is there a Jira Issue open for Atlassian to address in a fix?

Edward Gladstone May 8, 2018

Thank you for the workaround, Mark. That was very helpful.

For those unfamiliar with browser dev tools, here's an expanded explanation of Mark's process that works on CHROME with Jira v7.2.13. This process will presumably require tweaking for other browsers and/or versions of Jira.

1. Perform an issue query or click "View all issues and filters" to cause a list of issues to be displayed.
  2. Click on the "Columns" dropdown.
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the list.
  4. Right-click on the text "Continue typing to refine further". (You can actually right-click anywhere in the Columns chooser, but this puts you close to the tag you're going to be looking for in step 6.)
  5. Select "Inspect" (on Chrome). This should open a browser development window to the right where you can inspect and modify the page's HTML.
  6. In the "Elements" window at the top of the inspection area (on Chrome), scroll down until you see an element titled "<select id="user-column-sparkler"...>".
  7. Expand "user-column-sparkler".
  8. Expand "optgroup label" within it.
  9. Scroll down until you find the node "<option title="Status" value="status">Status</option>" (It may be necessary to click "Show all nodes" to see it.)
  10. Right-click on that node and select "Add attribute". Type: selected="selected". The node should now read: 
    "<option title="Status" value="status" selected="selected">Status</option>"
  11. Click "Done" back in the column chooser widget.
  12. The "Status" column should now appear in your issues list. It should not be necessary to repeat this.
Like # people like this
sunil_franklin August 16, 2018

worked for me, thank you !!

Sue Zhou January 9, 2019

Worked for me. Thank you Mark & Edward.

Jithna ...... February 7, 2019

awesome simple solution.Thankyou

Shawn Deyell February 13, 2019

Thanks, got it to work too!

Velavan December 3, 2019

it worked.. thank u so much

Shankaranand Ramanathan April 2, 2021

Thanks for the solution !! Worked for me !!

Urvi Patel June 4, 2021

worked for me now. Thanks

5 votes
Randy Wilson August 7, 2017

This issue is not "solved" by any means. Eagerly awaiting a fix or workaround.

Todd Pare October 31, 2018

While the workaround proposed by Mark Diamond did work, that seems like an awful hack on a product that is otherwise quite user-friendly for Project Owners to use.  As has been mentioned several other times (in this thread and others, so I would hope you folks at Atlassian would have picked up on this), there are very often dozens or even hundreds of Project Owners that do not have control of the custom attributes in our Jira instance.  This must be accounted for in all project administration user stories.  Please try to keep this in mind!

Like # people like this
3 votes
Ben Baker March 18, 2019

The workaround got annoying after a while so I created a javascript bookmarklet to make it easier

javascript&colon;(function(){
$("button.column-picker-trigger")[0].dispatchEvent(new MouseEvent('click'));
$("option[value='status']").attr('selected', 'selected');
$("form.column-picker input[type='submit']")[0].dispatchEvent(new MouseEvent('click'));
})();

You may have to run this twice since I was too lazy to detect if the column menu has finished lazy loading (which is required for auto-submitting)

Everyone, please make some noise here to get this properly fixed: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Can-t-add-standard-quot-Status-quot-field-to-issue-navigator/qaq-p/659915#M31738

Shawn Odegaard October 27, 2020

This worked for me when none of the other stuff did when I was trying to set up the system filters.  Thanks for this tip.

Like Laszlo Gal likes this
harryb888 January 7, 2021

This is really helpful. Thanks!

Laszlo Gal July 24, 2022

This worked while the above description could not. Thanks for it!

3 votes
Randy Wilson October 11, 2017

Bumping this critical issue again. 

Liam Bottomley October 24, 2017
Randy Wilson October 24, 2017

Thanks!

2 votes
Edward Gladstone May 8, 2018

Stop blaming the user for having too many fields - many of us work in a large organization and have no control whatsoever over the proliferation of fields.

Atlassian just needs to add a simple clause to the Columns picker widget's code:

if (search text is an EXACT match for one of the field names)
    display that field name FIRST in the results list, BEFORE the alphabetical results

How difficult can that possibly be?

Randy Wilson May 8, 2018

This extremely simple fix would solve the issue. I work in an organization with tens of thousands of users on one Comfluence instance (sucks but we are stuck with it). There is a workaround posted above where you have to hack the HTML for the page, but the exact match fix would be far more desirable, and shouldn’t take a developer more than half a day to implement. 

Like Ned Gladstone likes this
Shawn Odegaard January 13, 2021

Extremely easy coding but Atlassian probably doesn't have a lot of custom fields in the Jira they use, or at least ones that have Status in the name so they don't care.

1 vote
Liam Bottomley October 24, 2017

100% Agree with Randy on this. This is not "Solved" and a massive issue.

I'm facing this issue - quite frankly it's ridiculous, why force a more detailed search, especially when the exact match search word isn't at the top.

0 votes
Jaime Ashmore April 21, 2021

I had the same issue with a field called IMPACT.  I'm not too savvy with HTML so went this route and it worked:

1.  Looked up my custom field & renamed it to "aIMPACT"

2. Went back to my filter query and looked it up and added it to my filter.

3. Saved the filter.

4. Went back to the custom field and put it back to its original name "IMPACT"

The field stayed in the filter query and updated to the correct field name after I updated in custom fields.  Hope this helps!

0 votes
Suzanne Seaton September 6, 2019

Hey guys, I am a Jira Administrator and I just tested this out. If the field 'context' is limited to only the projects that the field is used for, then the user that is searching for the word status will not see all of the other status names unless they have permissions to that project. 

For example, we have ProjectA with status1, status2, status3, Project B with status4, status5, status6, etc. 

The Jira Administrator limits the context to each project that the field is used for. status1, status2, status3 is limited to ProjectA. status4, status5, status6, is limited to projectB

I work out of ProjectC and do not have permissions to either ProjectA or ProjectB. When I search for the field/column 'Status' then I will not see status1, status2, status3, status4, status5, status6

TJ January 13, 2021

@Suzanne Seaton I think  the issue is for the System Fields (e.g. "Team") in my case. System fields always have global context so project level permission is not the root cause.

Suzanne Seaton January 13, 2021

Indeed 'Status' is a system field. The example I provided was for custom fields with narrowed context. For example, you might have a custom field named 'Project Status' and it is only associated with projectB.

Like TJ likes this
TJ January 13, 2021

@Suzanne Seaton  Yes! that's correct. Did we get the solution for "System Field" though?

So 'Team' is not a system field. That would be a custom field. Do you have another example?

@TJ system fields do not use IDs. Therefore you could put the name of the system field and the value you are looking for in the URL. For example, https://system.com/issues/?jql=reporter%20in%20(currentUser()) represents the JQL for reporter is current user. Hope that helps. Make sure you use the name of the field, for example 'updated date' is just simply 'updated'. 

0 votes
saravanan subramanian November 3, 2016

Do this short cut.  Add XXX or any other characters temporarily upfront in the custom fields with Status.  After you add asked your team members to add the status in their navigator window you can rename them back. This is what we do now currently

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2016

If I understand correctly,

• I've typed: 'status' into the filter text field on the Issue Navigator window and it lists all my custom fields containing the word: status in the selection menu.
  • Then I type XXX in front of 'status' in the filter text field and all the fields disappear from the selection menu.
  • When I delete the XXX, the same custom fields appear and not "Status" field in the selection menu.

On the other hand, are you asking me to rename some or all the custom fields that have the word: status in them?  If so, I'm not the JIRA admin but a project owner only.  Renaming will cause a massive reindexing and I know exactly what my JIRA admin will say – NO!!!

Did I misunderstand you?  If not, are there any other ideas?

saravanan subramanian November 3, 2016

sorry that is for administrators.  can you try this after typing status = Try to enter the valid states in your workflow , by trail and error you may get the correct status field smile

Find issues with a status ID of 1:

status = 1

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2017

This did not work for us. I said that "status ID" was not a valid field:(

Randy Wilson June 28, 2017

This is still an issue in my organization, and any updates would be appreciated. We do not have administrative control over custom fields, and there are dozens of them with the word "Status" in the label. So the actual Status column is never available to be chosen for a report. 

Nikhil Ranjan February 28, 2019

Just Click on "Restore Defaults" Status will start reflecting in the list. Post which you can add or delete other column details. 

Like Tim Perrault likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events