Can I add Folder to Structure?

It would be great, If there would be a way to add the Folders to the Structure that use the Insert issues Automation. Now I get the message:

You are about to create folder Folder. It will be impossible to add it to the structure because of the automation installed: Cannot add items to JQL query result. You can drag-and-drop the item to a different location.

Looking forward to your answer.

Kind regards,
Tatiana 

5 answers

1 accepted

Hello Tatiana,

Currently there is no way to manually group results of the automation into folders. We have an improvement for that in our backlog, but it’s not an easy thing to implement, so it will take us some time to get that ready.
But there are several workarounds you can try. Is there some logic for grouping your issues? Maybe component or some other value? If that’s the case, you can use Group generator for one of the existing fields, or, if such field does not exist, create it first. Will such approach work for you?
Thanks,
Eugene (ALM Works)

Very useful Eugene. Thanks. 

Tatiana, you are very welcome!

The feature is currently in our internal tracker, but I've added a link to this question so we'll provide an update here as soon as we have some news. And I also added your vote there too smile

If you want, I can also create a corresponding issue in our public JIRA too - just let me know.

Hello Eugene,

Thank you very much I think, this is really sufficient :)

Regards,
Tatiana 

Hello Eugene,

Thank you for the fast response.

Yes we are already using the grouping automation. But we really like the Folder feature to fast group the issues manually, without creation of new custom fields.
Can you send us the link for the improvement to know when you plan to implement it and maybe to give some votes? :)

Kind regards,

Tatiana.

I was hoping for the same thing—but Tatiana et al, if it helps, I found that I was able to add folders to a structure that uses a synchronizer (one that I had migrated from v2). My sense is that ALM Works isn't necessarily recommending synchronizers, and I could imagine them possibly being deprecated in the future...but for now, this could be a way to go.

Synchronizing is more hidden in the interface...you'll find the settings for doing so in a Sync With column under Manage Structures. And, I think Synced structures don't allow one issue to appear twice...but to me, folders is the more useful feature, so I'm probably going to go this route for now.

Hope this helps!

Gary

Hello Gary,
Thank you for sharing your find. Maybe it could be interesting for some structures. But most of them will go for the Automation.
Regards,
Tatiana

I'm curious if there is any timeline to when Structure is intending to release this enhancement? Using fields is not really a solution for our use case.  The number of sub-folders and breakdown of milestones in our company is quite variable. If I knew you were releasing this feature in the next 6-8 weeks, I could hold off on figuring out an alternative. Next month? Next 3 months? Later this year? Maybe 2018?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

58 views 3 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you