Auto-copy URL to Customs Field

Darwin Bulawan March 8, 2021

I have been trying to create a custom field in JIRA service management (SM) with a URL field. I would like to have this automatically field out with the URL of the browser next to the JIRA SM. 

Would appreciate your thoughts here. Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Ram September 20, 2023

@John Funk 

Hi John, So if we want to copy the same Issue URL into a custom URL field - how do we go about it?

We have a custom field called "IssueURL" which is a Jira URL field, we want it to auto populate  with the current Jira Issue URL when an issue is created.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

Hi Darwin - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am not sure what you mean by the URL of the browser next to the JIRA SM.

Can you give an exact example of what you are hoping to see in a field and what the value would be based on? 

Darwin Bulawan March 8, 2021

Hi John, 

Thank you for your quick revert. 

For example, in one ticket I created a custom field (Portal URL). Instead of having our client copy-pasting the URL link from another page. We would like to have it auto-filled out by the URL of browser net to this ticket's browser, or in a drop-down form (if too many tab browsers are opened) (Figure 1)

In figure 2, the "the 3 categories of security" is preferred to appear as an option automatically in the Portal URL field. 

Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 21.56.15.png

Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 22.01.23.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

Sorry, but I still do not understand where the value of the URL is coming from. Is it just another tab in the browser window? If so, I have no idea how Jira would know what to copy there. It would need to be a value in another field already stored somewhere in Jira. 

Suggest an answer