Auto-Assign Issue Based on Request Type

Giancarlo Agurto January 25, 2019

I have external users the open tickets.  One option they have is to select a "Request Type".  I have 4 options to choose from at the start of the portal.

How can Jira automatically assign to user or group when the reporter chooses any of the 4?  I want to auto assign for all 4 types.

THanks

3 answers

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2019

Hello Giancarlo,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Since you mentioned request types, I believe you are using JIRA Service Desk, is it correct?

You should be able to achieve this functionality by creating the following Automation rule for each Request type:

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 19.11.46.png

For more information about automation rules on JIRA Service Desk, you can check the documentation below: 

Automating your Service Desk

Please, let me know if it works for you.

Awesome!!! Huge thanks!

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2019

@Petter Gonçalves, aha, what did I miss in my answer?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2019

Hey @Thomas Deiler

Your answer is perfectly complete. :)

I'm sorry that I didn't see it before posting my answer. Good job man!

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2019

There is a difference - yours is for cloud mine for server. ;)

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2019

Dear @Giancarlo Agurto,

you are using the words "Request Type" and "Portal" in your question. I guess you are using Jira Service Desk and not just Jira Core, or?

You can do this with the Automation part of Jira Service Desk. Create a rule that is triggered on new created issues and when a certain request type (field name "Custom Request Type") is detected, the issues assignee field is modified to a specific user. See my screenshot of the rule:

create-requesttype-assign.jpgYou have to create 4 of this rules, each per request type.

Let my know how I can help you further

So long

Thomas

PS: "Celebration: this is my post number 1000!!!!!

Congrats on the 1000!!!  onto the next 1000 replies :)

How do I get to the automation part of Jira service desk to create that rule?

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2019

When you go to the settings of your JSD project there is a tab on the left side:

settingsautmation.jpg

0 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2019

Hi Giancarlo -

For assigning to a user, it's as simple as putting the Assignee field onto the request type under the hidden fields.

For assigning to a group, you will need to create a field for that. I gave a talk at Summit 2018 where I discussed my team's solution to this problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMpGMPnECSA

Suggest an answer