summary query is pulling in too many results

Meghan O_Lone October 1, 2020

I want to pull a filter for ONLY "AT Findings" subtasks. This is my current query, and it's pulling back AT Findings subtasks as well as Design, Auto, and Content findings (see first screenshot)

Query 1: project = DP AND "Parent Feature ID" ~ DP-10237 AND issuetype in ("Technical Task", "Development Subtask") AND (summary ~ "AT Findings") AND status not in (Completed, Closed, "Ready to Migrate to UAT")

jira question - at findings.JPG

When i do THE SAME query but switch "AT Findings" with "Design Findings", it's pulling back only Design Findings subtasks (see second screenshot). Why? Please help

Query 2: project = DP AND "Parent Feature ID" ~ DP-10237 AND issuetype in ("Technical Task", "Development Subtask") AND (summary ~ "Design Findings") AND status not in (Completed, Closed, "Ready to Migrate to UAT")

jira question - design findings.JPG

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Gustavo Félix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2020

Hi @Meghan O_Lone 

I was really curious about this, so I found https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JQL-Query-to-filter-out-issues-where-Summary-contains-a/qaq-p/321309

It says that there are some reserved words, so it might not work well. 
Based on this comment : "

Hi guys, it doesnt work because "be" is reserved word for JQL, it can be used as verb.

To use it you have to escape it similarly as Eren did (\"[BE]\") so in your case just \"BE\" should work"

I tried summary ~ "\"[AT]\" Findings" and it worked.

Can you try and let me know if it works?

Meghan O_Lone October 2, 2020

This worked!!!! Thank you so much @Gustavo Félix you are a lifesaver!! 

Like Gustavo Félix likes this
Gustavo Félix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2020

Great!

Like Meghan O_Lone likes this

Suggest an answer