It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JQL Query to filter out issues where Summary contains a particular word

I need to create a search filter that excludes all issues that contain the word "CLONE" in the Summary field.  (I have 5 issues used to clone to make new issues and don't want my users to accidentally update those when looking in search results.  They have Summary text with variations of "00-CLONE ME" etc.)

Right now my query is this - just need to add that last filter.  Have tried a number of variations, but with no luck. Any help is appreciated!

project = PM AND status in (Open, "In Progress", "Initiate Campaign", "Gathering Rqmts", "Testing Camp Setup", "Pending Doc", "Assgd to PM", "Assgd to Tech", "Modify DO Template", "In Prog - DO Templ Mods", "Clt Approved Script", "In Progress - PM", "Approval Requested", "Pending Client Apprvl", "Request Client Revisions", "Pending Client Revisions", "In Progress (Tech)", "Pending Data Contact Revs", "C-List Load Issues", "Extract Test Data", "Pending Data Contact Apprvl", "Test DO Approved", "Pre-Flight Complete", "Validate Pre-Flight", "Ops In Progress", "Ops Compl - Awaiting Closure", Assigned) ORDER BY created DESC

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted

Keith, Do you want to create a serch filter that excludes all issues that contain the word CLONE in the Summary filed?

So you can put 

*summary !~ "CLONE"*

at the search issue.

Regards.

Lameck.

That got me there, though it isn't exact so figured I should post this update.  Here's what I added to my existing query that worked:

AND summary !~ CLONE 

The * characters threw an error.  (working in Cloud version, so maybe that's why? Not sure)

Bottom line - it's working for me and will save me many headaches in the days to come.  Thank you.

Like Anna Fenchel likes this

Keith, good! 

The * is a typo. :/ 

But it's very good read that filter will save your time. laugh 

Regards.

It still doesn't work for me. 

I'm trying to return back-end stories that are labelled as [BE] in the issue summary. Can someone tell me what is wrong with this JQL? 

project = "X" summary ~ "\"[BE]\"" ORDER BY summary ASC, priority DESC, updated DESC 

It's not returning any issues even though a lot of issues has "[BE]" in the summary. 

Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Mar 20, 2018

Hi @Eren

Jira cannot properly do partial word searching.  In turn it does not actually do well at searching mixed character strings.   Instead it is built to search for complete words.  Since this tag is rather short and contains other characters of "[" and "]" that is going to make it more difficult to find those issues when trying to extract this text out of summary field.   This partial word searching limitation is also noted in our documentation on Search syntax for text fields: Limtations: Whole words only.

However there could be other ways to find this information.  For example, the scriptrunner plugin for Jira will allow you to use regex searches in JQL searching.  Check out https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/jql-functions.html#_issuefieldmatch

This function provided via this plugin would then allow you to create a JQL syntax of something like this:

issueFunction in issueFieldMatch("project = X", "summary", "\[BE\]")

In turn this should then allow you to find the issues that might have that specific string in them.

It is also possible there are other plugins for Jira that can help here, I only cited the scriptrunner one because I know it has this regex search ability within JQL.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Like # people like this

Hi @Andy Heinzer

You save my life.  Thank you very much.

Hi @Andy Heinzer, the explanation makes sense to me but it doesn't explain why  the following sentence word properly:

project = "X" summary ~ "FE

But this sentence doesn't bring results:

project = "X" summary ~ "BE

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Oct 23, 2019

Hi @Victor Catano 

That's very strange to see.  So I tried to replicate this behavior.  I found that I too could not find issues with the advanced JQL search of just

summary ~ "be"

Despite knowing that I have created issues with that very short word in the summary.  So in the process of investigating this, I switched the search from advanced back down to basic.  Then selected Summary and the word 'be'. I found this worked as expected, and returned the results:

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 9.01.35 PM.png

So then I switched modes back to advanced.  I found that my string had additional escaping characters and an additional set of quotes.  

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 9.01.49 PM.png

summary ~ "\"be\""

to be exact.

I'm still not sure why this is yet, but it does work.  I thought perhaps there exist certain words that are reserved in JQL, indeed there are, you can see a list of these in you can see in Advanced Searching: Restricted and reserved words.  But for whatever reason "Be" is not listed in that list.  I'm not sure is this is an oversight in the documentation, or a yet undocumented bug.  But I'm going to look into this further to try to figure that out.  Thanks for bringing it up.

Andy

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

303 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you