What's the point of Jira Core if we already have Jira?

PabloS December 31, 2020

Our dev team runs on Jira.  Now we want to choose a task/ project management platform for our business team. 

Based on Atlassian's marketing, it seems like the biz team is better off using Jira Core, but is that really the case? 

Why not just create a a business-focused boards within our existing Jira account ?  With next-gen boards, I think we can hide the complexity our biz team doesn't need.  

Or is there something else in Jira Core they will benefit from? 

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2021

Hi @PabloS ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If you are using Jira Software it means you are using Jira Core too. As @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ explained in his answer. Jira Core will come with Jira Software and Jira service desk.  Jira Core is a project and task management solution that every business person across an organization can use to plan, track, and report on work. 

If you are using Jira you can simply create a next-gen project, choose the business template and manage your tasks easily with the help of the Board.

Trello is also a good option for you if you want to use that, but if you are comfortable with Jira then go with it.

I hope It will help you.

Happy New Year!

PabloS January 3, 2021

Thanks. This is the clearest answer I have received yet. 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2021

Hi @PabloS 

You have following options.

• Jira Core
  • Jira Software = Jira Core + Agile Board
  • Jira Service Management = Jira Core + Portal/Queues/SLA

So you will always get Jira Core, that is suitable for non-technical, business or general task management kind of projects. Using Permission Schemes you can always restricts users to access only Jira Core projects.

If you already have Jira and your teams will potentially collaborate in some way then continue using it. Just try create a project with simple task management template.

If they don't like Jira then you can also look at Trello. 

Ravi

0 votes
PabloS January 3, 2021

All, thanks for your help here.  Not to further complicate things, but I just realized that Atlassian now owns Trello and the integrations sound promising.  Has anyone tried Trello+Jira? 

Here's a blog post with more detail: https://blog.trello.com/jira-trello-intregration

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 1, 2021

Hi @PabloS

when using a Free plan on Jira Cloud it won't matter in detail (as it comes without costs).

Users that don't need software boards like a Scrum/Kanban board would just use the business functions.
I saw a specific requirement this week in Community where user wanted to have Jira Core for a bunch of users that has no need for a Kanban board because this way he could save 2$ per account - and this is from my point of view the only hard fact why to choose the "smaller" product.

In sum: when you are on the Free plan using Jira Software but a user do not need a software board but rather a business oriented projects - that's just fine.

0 votes
Vinod Ramadoss
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 31, 2020

Hi,

There certainly is nuances between the both, there is a similar thread explaining this and also a link briefing which Jira to go forth, kindly find the below, hope this helps

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Jira-Core-vs-Jira-Software/qaq-p/1066375

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-software-evaluator-resources/jira-software-which-jira-do-i-need

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events