Upgrade Jira from 5.2.5 to 7.8

EHQS March 9, 2018

We run a Jira 5.2.5 on a Windows Server 2008R2 with MS SQL Server 2008 R2. We want to migrate Jira to a Windows Server 2012 R2 with MS SQL Server 2017.

Is there any documentation to do it? Or maybe someone who did it on his server?

Sorry for my bad english....

Thanks for any help

Irish

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2018

Hi Irish,

The one thing for sure that you will need to do is to read the documentation and make sure because you will be skipping major versions.

Click here to read more about upgrading to JIRA 7.8

The following link has more information about release notes that you need to be aware of.

Let us know if you need more documentation.

Best of luck!

EHQS March 12, 2018

Hi Fadoua,

thanks a lot for your answer!

I wonder if it is necessary to upgrade to 7.8 or if I can still stay on 5.2.5.?

Maybe there is any version between 5.x an 7.x which is easyer to upgrade?

Do I have to change my License if I upgrade my version?

I hope you can help me again :-)

Iris

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2018

You can stay on 5.2.5 if you want, but it is no longer supported and you get more functions if you upgrade.

If you skim the upgrade docs, you will eventually find the recommended route is to upgrade to 6.1, then 6.4, then 7.0 and 7.8 finally.  If your data is simple and you have no add-ons, you may be able to go from 5.2.5 to 6.4 direct, but do not try to skip the 6.4 -> 7.0 step.

Like Ascar_Omarov likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2018

With an upgrade nothing changes with the license.

Usually it is not a good idea to upgrade to the latest version as they could be bugs that the Atlassian developers are not aware of.

May be you can upgrade to version 6.x.x, nice features with it.

Also are you using any other Atlassian tools? Like Confluence or any other you have to make sure about compatibility between the versions of the 2 apps.

Please don't hesitate to ask, if you have more questions.

Bhaskar Mahadheer September 21, 2022

they sent me the evaluation license and upgrade but it's not working.

how to migrate my data from end-of-life server 5.2 to the cloud I tried evaluation license and  trying to install the Jira cloud migration plugin it's not working  please help me with the upgrading or migration

thumbnail_image.png

0 votes
EHQS March 13, 2018

Yes, I did:

<Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="xyz.com">
            <Host name="xyz.com" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

But I see that the home Dir on the old server was: C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian

and on the new Server it is: C:\Program Files\Atlassian

If I want to load an XML Backup File trougt the import I see this Path:

Geben Sie den Namen einer Datei ein, aus der Daten wiederhergestellt werden sollen. Dateien werden geladen aus:C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\import

This is the correct path on the old server but not on the new one

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2018

Then who ever did the upgrade had to specify that path. I am not familiar with Windows as I work on Linux.

However even on my Linux server I have to specify the path during an upgrade if I don't want to go with the default one provided by Atlassian.

Did you do the upgrade yourself or someone else? I think you didn't specify the path

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2018

@EHQShow is it going with the upgrade?

EHQS March 23, 2018

@Fadoua: I did it :-)

First step from 5.2.5 to 6.4 aqnd then step by step from 6.4 to 7.0.11. It's because we work with MS SQL Express which is not supported by higher versions of Jira.

Thank you so much for your HELP!

Iris

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2018

Glad to hear that @EHQS! If satisfied with my assistance please don't forget to accept my answer.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2018

Thanks a lot @EHQS!

0 votes
EHQS March 13, 2018

Hello - that's me again.....

I took my decision to install V 5.2.5 on our new server and then (maybe) upgrade to 6.x

The installation an the import of the old content worked and I can access to Jira. The big question is now why the base URL shows to our old server  http://xyz.de instead http://xyz.com.

I changed the base URL in the configuration of the new Jira installation but no chance. When I change this base URL the old installation the same error occurs when I log in on the old Jira on http://xyz.de13-03-_2018_15-31-52.jpg

I have no idea what to do :-(

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2018

Did you change it on the server.xml file?

EHQS March 19, 2018

This proplem is solved. It was because a wrong DNS Entry on the server...

Like mohammed ounouna likes this
0 votes
EHQS March 12, 2018

I have only these plugin installed - so there is no Confluence.

12-03-_2018_15-51-21.jpg

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2018

Great! Always make sure to update the Atlassian Universal Plugin Manager is you are asked so.

Also @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- is an expert and I agree with his suggestion of upgrading to version 6.x.x

EHQS March 12, 2018

Unfortunately, the update of the plugin does not work :-(12-03-_2018_16-21-02.jpg

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2018

Can you check the logs? To see the problem behind it

EHQS March 12, 2018
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2018

Good. Try to familiarize yourself with version 6 in JIRA and see which one you want to upgrade to.

If you have any questions, we all are here to help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events