Unable to delete group in JIRA.

Nallusamy Narayanaswamy June 11, 2020

Hi, 

I want to delete some unwanted groups in JIRA. Those groups were getting synced from AD. Now, We have deleted them on AD and want to delete it from JIRA also. 

But, It throws an error "You do not have permission to remove this group from all the directories in which it occurs." when I try to delete it. 

Can anyone pls guide me?

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 10.24.47 AM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2020

Your system is using an external user directory to handle (some or all of) its users and groups.

This directory is set up so that Jira can not delete groups from it.

Nallusamy Narayanaswamy June 12, 2020

Thanks for the reply @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Is there anything I can change on the User Directory configuration to delete that group? or If that group is deleted on AD (external directory), will get it deleted automatically on JIRA as well? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2020

If you remove a group from AD, that will be updated next time Jira runs a sync.

You can check the user directory list to see how often the sync runs, and also if the directory is read-only on the Jira end.  But be aware that you can tell Jira that a directory is read/write while being read-only on the directory side.  You'll need to check the AD config to see if that is read/write as well, whatever Jira is showing.

Nallusamy Narayanaswamy June 12, 2020

ok. Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

It is marked as read-only on JIRA side. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 4.27.39 PM.png

Like Ola_Sugar likes this

Suggest an answer