Time Spent - Display format change

RamR February 15, 2020

Is there a way to change the 'Time Spent' field format display from "2w 4d 6h 45m" into something like "4h", just the hour instead of the default?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2020

Hello @RamR

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand you want to display your time tracking fields based in hours instead of the default format (2w 4d 6h 45m). Can you please confirm if you are using Jira Server or Cloud application?

If you are using Jira Server, you can easily change your time tracking format in the global settings, as explained in this documentation:

1. Choose  > Issues.
  2.  Select Issue Features > Time Tracking to open the Time Tracking page.
  3. If Time Tracking is ON (refer to the indication at the top of the Time Tracking screen), click the Deactivate button to turn time tracking OFF.
  4. The time tracking settings will now be editable as shown in the following screenshot.

Now, if you want to display it in Jira Cloud, you might turn-off the new issue view to enable this setting to be changed under the Global settings, since the new issue view does not respect the global settings of time tracking (see JRACLOUD-69810). these would be the detailed steps:

1. Click in your profile picture at the left bottom corner > Settings > Scroll down to the lab features and deactivate the new issue view
  2. Navigate to Jira settings > issues > Time tracking > Click to Edit Global settings, properly configuring the format you want.
    Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 15.11.17.png
  3. Additionally, feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let us know if you have any questions. If this is not the feature you are looking for, please provide us with a screenshot so we can better understand what you are trying to customize.

RamR February 18, 2020

Hi @Petter Gonçalves 

Thank you for the detailed response. I am on cloud. I did change the format to 'hour' from minute from the global settings. What I really want to happen is also, need to have the format shown below in the 'Time spent' and 'Time remaining' to be displayed like "5h" instead of all that "2w 4d 6h 45m". Can this be done? Also i want the hours entered to stay the same and not convert to any other format.

For example, i enter 100 hours into Time spent and 50 hours into Time remaining, then those two numbers 100 and 50 stay in the respective fields without being formatted in any other way.

Time Tracking.PNG

RamR February 18, 2020

I did upvote and watching the suggestion. So for now i understand there are no workarounds for this issue?!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2020

Hello @RamR

Thank you for your detailed answer and screenshot.

Now I understand that you are trying to change the "placeholder" value that added as an example in the Time Spent field.

Indeed, that behavior is treated as a bug in the new issue view, which our developers are current worked to get it fixed:

New issue detail view won't display the Time estimate in hours 

Unfortunately, we don't have a workaround for this issue at this moment, so I can only ask you to vote and watch the bug to receive any notification about its fix implementation.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

RamR February 20, 2020

thank you @Petter Gonçalves 

Suggest an answer