Test for workaround for CVE-2019-15001 (security vulnerability with JIM)

Tasneem Bhyat September 30, 2019

Hi

I am referring to this page

'https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/workaround-for-cve-2019-15001-976772104.html'

I have tried testing the call in Postman. Even before the workaround, I get a 403 (Forbidden)...

i do the workaround and get the same error

Please advise if the above is the expected behaviour before the fix?

Thanking you

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2019

Hi @Tasneem Bhyat ,

Successful exploitation of the vulnerability requires Jira Administrator credentials in the request. If the request doesn't include auth headers for an account that has Jira Administrator permission, it will return a 403.

Once the workaround is applied, 403 will be returned even if proper credentials are included in the request.

Cheers,
Daniel

Tasneem Bhyat September 30, 2019

Hi Daniel

Thank you very much for the reply. I did a call in Postman to the endpoint with my credentials (I am a JIRA Administrator). Before the change I get a 403. And there was nothing else in the web.xml blocking that endpoint. We are using JIRA Server version 7.3.8.

I tried doing a POST with the same url...then I get a 500 (due to missing content)...but then I put the endpoint with a POST in the web.xml...and then restart JIRA, I then get a 403.

Please advise if this is normal behaviour.

Thanks

Tasneem Bhyat October 7, 2019

Hi @Daniel Eads 

Please advise regarding the above question please...

thanks

Suggest an answer