Set ticket value when creating a ticket based on user property

Simon Evers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 20, 2020

Hi there, 

we want to set a field in our tickets based on user properties. 

I've already set up a property for users

Key: Modul
Value: Frontend 

Now i found the functionality within the workflows of post functions and i want to set the value of the single dropdown field "Modul" in a ticket which is to be created. 

We have a couple of stakeholders and want to use the property to set the value of a ticket by default by this property. 

But i cannot find a way to get this property value and setting the dropdown value based on this. 

1 answer

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2020

Hey @Simon Evers ,

I'm not fully comprehending your set up but i'll do my best.

My first question tho is "where did you set up the properties for these users?" Where is the data located that you will use for your criteria to then set a (I'm assuming custom field) value on the issue?

Simon Evers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 20, 2020

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans , 

first off, i have set the Jira Properties in the User Management within JIRA and in the User properties i set up the following property and named it 

key: Modul

value: Frontend

Then i switched to the workflow screen  and in the transition "create" i added a post function where i now want to set the field "Modul" in the ticket to the value of the property of the user. 

The field is a single dropdown value named "Modul" and contents multiple values

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2020

@Simon Evers 

I just figured out where you set the properties, gotta say never used that before!

From the documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/update-roles-and-properties-for-jira-users-744721647.html

User properties are key-value pairs associated with Jira users. For example, a user property could be:

• key: Favorite color
  • value: Green

User properties can be used by Atlassian marketplace apps to execute advanced functions.For example, an app could use user properties to automate post-functions in a workflow (as in the case of theJira Misc Workflow Extensions app), automatically assigning issues to a user based on its properties.You can also use this data to integrate Jira users with time tracking software.

Other than adding property data to the specified user, these user properties do not have an effect anywhere else in Jira.

I have a feeling tho you will not be able to use them yourself in a post function. They can be called by a marketplace app to do some things but It doesn't look like they are available directly.

From this post: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Automatically-set-custom-field-value-based-on-user-group/qaq-p/681836

They only seem available through the JMWE app (or possibly other plugins) where you can call them and use them. (in the same way that you would like to use them it seems)

But not directly from the build in workflows/post functions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events