Re-using already uploaded images/attachments within a ticket

Serge Makarenko March 19, 2021

JIRA Server version had a possibility to re-use the same images/attachments many times within a ticket by a single upload and then mention in the text. Any image uploaded to the ticket could be re-used many times in the description, comments section, etc by a simple reference from the images dropdown.

JIRA Cloud it seems doesn't allow us to do the same with already uploaded images from the scope of the ticket. The images were uploaded to the ticket by different people, or attached within a comments section. But when the button is clicked, they aren't available to be inserted into the ticket description.

There are two questions connected to that:

1. How to re-use images from the attachments, without the need to duplicate the image during mentions?
  2. Why images uploaded within the comments and visible within "Attachment" section are not choosable from "Files & images" dialog window?

Images upload.png

5 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2021

Hi @Serge Makarenko 

Welcome to Atlassian Community. 
I was able to find a Feature request on the same: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72208. Please add your self as a watcher and add your comments on the ticket. 

-Sri

Serge Makarenko March 22, 2021

@Sri Kumar, thank you for finding the trace to the original feature request. I've set myself as a watcher and upvoted.

Unfortunately, it left me where I started, there's no way around for it, I tried many ways.

The desperate comment from the ticket linked amazingly describes by feeling, that Atlassian (company) still didn't handle the request from 05/Jun/2019 (!!!), while forcibly moving everyone from Server to Cloud version of JIRA, showing buggy and non-useable UIX to all the clients who pay.

Like # people like this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2021

Hello @Serge Makarenko ,

I understand your frustration (and the one of the other people commenting on the feature request ticket). This feature was indeed working in the old issue view and, as you can read in the latest status update:

This ticket is a top priority we’re currently working on and will be done after we transition everyone to the new issue view.

Make sure to watch this issue for updates on our progress.

However, if this is really a blocker for you and your team and you feel like you cannot use the new issue view until this feature has been implemented, since you are the site-admin of a Jira site having standard/evaluation license, I'd advise to create a support request for this by using below link:

Please make sure to describe your business case into details in the request. Depending on your needs the assigned support engineer might have a temporary workaround for you to use exclusively until this feature is released.

Also, please let me know the support case number so that I can follow it and assist (if needed).

Cheers,
Dario

Like Serge Makarenko likes this
Serge Makarenko April 9, 2021

Hello @Dario B !

It's not a big blocker for us, but a very poor UIX in comparison to the server version we've used to have. The migration to the Cloud JIRA was a disappointing experience. We pay the same money for JIRA, but getting less, and our team got less efficient in the result.

We don't see the way back, so going to stick to what we have. I wish Atlassian team pushes harder on the essential feature requests, and they are not getting stuck for 2 years in the development pipeline.

JIRA Cloud and JIRA Server per our expectations supposed to be of the same functions, same grade, and as per some "marketing" expectations  it supposed to be a better UIX in Cloud... but in reality, it turned to be RAW, less efficient, bulky, and even lacks the basic features which server version was offering since ancient years.

Please assist everyone with speeding up the feature request development, or introduce the workaround to "turn the old JIRA Server UIX back" :)

I'm grateful for the help and your assistance! Let's hope it will be fixed very soon with a high priority.

Best regards,
Serge

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2021

Hi @Serge Makarenko ,

I hear you and I am forwarding your feedback to the team in charge of this. However, even if I cannot provide an exact ETA, I can assure that the feature is already in our roadmap and I really hope it's going to be released soon.

Have a nice weekend!

Dario

Like Serge Makarenko likes this
Serge Makarenko April 9, 2021

thank you, @Dario B , good luck, and have a great weekend likewise!

if you need any additional feedback, I'm glad to help.

all the best,
Serge

Like Dario B likes this
0 votes
Slava Gefen January 25, 2023
0 votes
Phil Hill January 25, 2023

I thought it was just me that couldnt get this working.

Really dont want to be working from potentially different images.

Unfortunately my hack to get around this is to take a screen shot of the original image and attach it as a new image.  Hardly ideal.

Slava Gefen January 25, 2023

it's resolved already 👍

Capture1.JPG

0 votes
Slava Gefen August 4, 2022

Wow, this really can't be done (to mention picture from attachments) 🙈
Welcome me to this amazing world of Atlassian Cloud.

@Sri Kumar thanks for mentioning the ticket https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72208 👍

0 votes
Rick Webb May 7, 2021

This is a super urgent issue for our company too.

Satish Mali June 21, 2022

Same here... this is really frustrating to switch back to old view for reusing already uploaded images.

Suggest an answer