REST API to assign a version to a component

Yannick Hein April 7, 2021

Hi,

I cannot find an example in the REST API documentation that covers how I assign a version to a component after creating it. Maybe this is directly assigned when creating the version, but there is also no example there.

Can someone help please?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2021

Welcome to the community!

Components do not have versions, so there's no API for it.

I suspect that you're either using different words to describe something, or you might have an app giving you versions on components, but there might be another explanation as to why you're asking this.

Could you maybe give us a screenshot of what you're seeing as versions of components?

Yannick Hein April 7, 2021

Hi, thanks!

The wording is correct. It is actually a plugin, which I did not expect. There is a long story of requests by others who would like to see this feature as well: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-3501

I even found the correct REST API call following the plugin rabbit hole: https://componentversions.docs.apiary.io/#reference/0/component-versions/add-a-new-component-to-version-mapping

Thanks for your feedback!

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2021

One of my guesses was right then!

Yes, I've got that issue on my watched (and voted) list, which is how I knew I could say "versions don't have components" straight away.

My next step would have been "does the app have a REST API", but you've beaten me to it!

Suggest an answer