Project Automation Performance -- not for Server?

Robert Leachman June 23, 2022

Our automation screen looks similar to the screenies but does not include "View Performance Insights". Does anyone know if this is Cloud only or something? I am hoping it is included in Data Center as that's our future... or maybe we aren't on the right version? Server 8.13.19 does not have this, is all I know for sure.

Thanks!

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/view-performance-insights-for-automation-rules/

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Robert Leachman July 14, 2022

Seems I was looking in the wrong place. The feature is available in Jira Server 8.13.22 and likely earlier versions too.

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 7.37.26 AM.png

0 votes
Robert Leachman June 27, 2022

This remains a concern. My users are asking we would add a global automation rule that starts with big conditionals:

When any comment is added

If the issue is included in (not simple filter)

Do something good

I am balking as this would seem an obvious way to tank performance. Advice?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2022

Agreed: firing the global rule for every comment and then not processing could be an processing hit...and I would measure that to confirm the impact before trying anything different/more complicated.

Depending upon what "do something good" is and how soon you need it after the comment is added...How about inverting this: use a scheduled trigger with the complicated filter and use a condition to test for a recently added comment?  This would then only fire when there are issues meeting the filter, and only proceed when there was a recent comment.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2022

Hi @Robert Leachman 

First thing, I am using Cloud and not Data Center/Server versions...

The documentation for Data Center/Server does show this feature is available:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/view-performance-insights-for-automation-rules-1013851985.html

Kind regards,
Bill

Good hit, thanks Bill! 

I wonder if it released with V8, that would explain it... I came up short finding it in release notes though.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2022

That's interesting.  Perhaps check with your admin to check if there is an update to the automation addon. 

And, I guess it is also possible that only the Pro (paid) and not Lite (free) version has this feature, although I would find that surprising as it is essential to manage usage and troubleshoot misbehaving rules.

I am the admin! And this is Atlassian's add-on, I can't think of a more Pro setup than we are running :)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2022

Jira Data Center/Server has two possible versions of Automation for Jira.  Here is the comparison of the versions, paid and free, to help you confirm which one you have, and the marketplace link to confirm you are updated:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/getting-the-right-version-993924597.html

Oh! Can confirm we are Pro so that's not the issue.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events