New JIRA issue view - how to update issue Type

Ian Carson May 27, 2018

The new view released by JIRA - how can you edit the issue to change its Type (eg Story, Bug, Task, etc)? I now have to switch back to old view each time I edit an issue.

3 answers

2 votes
Paul Mc Galey September 13, 2018

Since this was the first google hit I got, I'll add an answer here. It's missing functionality. For now you can achieve it with "Move" via the ... menu in the top right, as long as you have the right permissions.

Feature request to add the functionality to the new view is here if you feel like upvoting it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70123

Ian Carson September 13, 2018

Thanks @Paul Mc Galey I have voted.

0 votes
Marc Jason Mutuc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2018

Check the Edit Screen if it has the Issue Type on it. 

Kristin Weingardt April 21, 2021

i already checked, unfortunately its not there to be selected. I have to see, wether there is some other way to include it into the issue view.

0 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2018

HI @Ian Carson,

Which hosting type you are using?

To edit an issue, you need the Edit Issue project permission for that project. If you do not have this permission, please contact your administrator. 

Ian Carson May 28, 2018

Currently I just select "See Old View" where I can hit Edit and then change the Type. So I seem to have the permission to change the Type. It just does not seem to visible in the Edit view of the "new" view. That said, I may be missing something very obvious as I am new to JIRA.

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2018

Hi @Ian Carson,

Can you please attach the screenshot for the same.

Another way is To Search for issues --> select the issue that you want to Edit and then click on top right side Bulk Change choose the Edit operation and Edit the Issue type.

For this you should have Bulk change global permission and Edit issue permission.

Ian Carson May 28, 2018

Hope this screenshot helps.

JIRA screenshot.jpg

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2018

Hi @Ian Carson,

Have you checked that clicking on the top right corner  ... and see what options you will get. If it is not showing then try to contact your administrator and check is you have the Edit issue permission of this project or not.

Ian Carson May 28, 2018

Hi Yogesh - thanks for all the help - see screenshot below for top right corner ...

No option to Edit the issue. But at least it has an option to "Turn of new issue view" which I might do until I get to the bottom of this. The fact that I can see edit the Issue in the old view suggests to me I have the necessary responsibilities already, as would expect these to be set at project level and not view level.

JIRA screenshot 2.jpg

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2018

HI @Ian Carson

If you have the Edit issue permission for that project then you should able to see the Edit button on issue viewscreen itself.

Below to ticket summary, the Edit option will be there but for this, you should have Edit issue permission, have you checked with your administrator is that you have Edit issue permission or not.

edit.png

Kristin Weingardt April 20, 2021

The "Move"-Option works, but is extremely user-unfiredly; especially if you are used to the option, you had with the old view

Like Mark Hostetler likes this

Suggest an answer