Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Merge users during cloud-cloud migration

I am trying to merge 2 Jira cloud instances but have a couple of specific problems:

1) The source server (olddomain.atlassian.net) needs user emails to be updated (user1@olddomain.com -> user1@newdomain.com)

2) user1@newdomain.com already had data in the newdomain.atlassian.net instance we are migrating to with content (stories and tasks)

Don't ask how we got here. The cow is already on the ice. When I migrate the users with their updated email addresses into the new domain will Jira merge them? Or create 2 new users?

1 answer

0 votes
Taranjeet Singh Community Leader Apr 04, 2022

Hello, @John Marsh!

I haven't used Jira Cloud to Cloud migration tool yet, but I have used JCMA (Jira Cloud Migration Assistant) tool to migrate users from Jira Server to Cloud.

Assuming that these 2 migration tools/products from Atlassian should have the same behavior with respect to user migration, I think if a user (to be migrated from source Cloud site) with the same email address already exists in the target Cloud site, the Jira Cloud to Cloud migration tool will merge the two user accounts (& also their linked project data), instead of creating a new user account.

Hope it helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Service Management

Jira Service Management Documentation Opportunities

Hello everyone, Hope everyone is safe! A few months ago we posted an article sharing all the new articles and documentation that we, the AMER Jira Service Management team created. As mentioned ...

301 views 0 9
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you