Jira Core users access to Jira Service Management and ability to handle tickets

josephine.borremans
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 9, 2021

I would like to know what permissions Jira Core users have in Jira Service Management. 

- Can you see Jira Core users as a light agent in JSM?

- If people already have Jira Cloud, does that mean they also already have a Jira Core license for JSM?

- Is it correct that if I want Jira Core users to be able to add internal comments to tickets in JSM, they should have this specific permission?

- Could this permission be person specific? Of is it for all people who have a Jira Core license?

- Do Jira Core users have access to the project interface (queues, reports and SLAs)? If not, how do they see an open ticket? Does anyone have an example?

- Can you give external people of your organization a Jira Core license? 

Hope you can help me finding answers to my questions!

Thank you in advance.

Best, Josephine 

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

Hi @josephine.borremans,

Welcome to the Community.

You can consider users with a Jira Core or Jira Software license as internal collaborators to your Service Desk. This overview from the documentations clearly identifies what they can and cannot do:

Screenshot 2021-04-09 at 17.30.07.png

This summary has an answer to most of your questions. I'd like to add some specifics - just for clarity, though ...

Jira Core, Jira Software and Jira Service Management are different products. Jira Service Management is the most specific product, as only agents need a license there. 

For Jira Core users to be able to add internal comments to JSM tickets, they need to be added to the Service Desk Team role in your JSM project, as described above. That permission can be granted to Jira Core users on an individual basis.

Jira Core users don't have access to queues or reports as mentioned above. They can search for tickets or see lists of tickets through dashboards. A individual ticket just looks like any Jira issue you would open in Jira.

And yes, external people can be given a Jira Core license. That's just a matter of creating an account for them (based on their email address) and granting them product access to Jira Core.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer