Jira Core 8.4.4 Installer Issue

Dave S September 26, 2019

Trying to upgrade a 7.51 installation running atop Windows 2012 R2 (with Service Desk).

When I launch the installer; i get told that I do not have administrator rights on the machine (I can choose to continue Yes/No).

This occurred logged into server via an Active Directory account that is in the Administrators group; as well as a local account that is an administrator.

Not sure I really want to upgrade something with it thinking I don't have permission to upgrade it.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2019

Hi Dave,

I see that you are attempting to upgrade Jira on a Windows server platform, but you are seeing warnings that your account is not being detected as an admin.

I found a very similar thread from a few months back in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Installation-issues-with-permissions/qaq-p/1004192

In that thread, Jacques seems to be getting the exact same warning.  He also came across a change in the Windows Defender that appears to be able to mark some folders as read only.  Please see his link in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-folders-by-default-following-windows-10/da38ac2b-cce6-4ecd-9515-cd22e41fe49f

It seems that a feature called Controlled folder access, has the ability to lock down some folders, even from admin accounts.  Granted that thread seems to be talking more about Windows 10, but it seems that this could also be a feature in Server 2012 R2 since it seems to be implemented by the Defender application.   I would try to check to make sure that this feature is not currently on, as the installer will need to be able to write to a number of folders to update the application and your data there.   It is very likely that the installation package not having the ability to write to such folders would trigger this warning message, even when you are using an admin level account.

I'd also recommend trying to right click on the installation package and choose 'Run as Administrator' to make sure that UAC features in Windows are also not otherwise restricting administrator accounts from performing such tasks.

Try this and let us know the results.

Andy

Dave S September 30, 2019

Controlled Folder Access looks like its Win 10/ Server 2019.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/enable-controlled-folders

What does appear to be working is that I did not Right-Click and select to Run as Administrator.

Classic.

Like # people like this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2019

Thanks for posting back with what worked for you.  Glad to hear it's working now.  I suspect User Access Controls can cause that error as well, which the run as administrator can help to avoid.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events