Installation issues with permissions

Jacques February 11, 2019

hi,

Just downloaded Jira 8.0.0 and wanted to install it on a Windows 10 machine. When starting setup and selecting the jira_install directory it shows the following error:

image.png

Anyone has had this happening?

Thanks,
Jacques.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jacques March 12, 2019

I have found the answer myself. Basically, with a new Windows 10 Update, a new feature, called "Controlled folder access" had blocked all processes to access any folder. More information about this can be found here.

0 votes
william burns October 31, 2019

I just ran into it too. Right click on the install, in windows at the top click on "Run as Administrator"  That worked for me. 

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2019

You need to grant read/write access to the user that the Jira service runs as. Check the Jira Service to see which user that is.

Jacques February 11, 2019

hey Dave,

This is a blank install... There is no service installed yet. Even more: I don't want to install Jira as a service. Installing Jira as a service is one of the options during install which I was not able to select yet as it is further in the installation process.

When I let Jira install in the suggested default directories then there does not seem to be any problem. I've checked the permissions on C:\Program Files\ and copied them all to my destination directory without success. The problem persists.

I have never had this issue with any Jira 7.x installations.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2019

The issue is that the directory structure is not writable by the user that the Java process is running as.  

If you are launching Jira from the command prompt, you need to make sure that the user you are logged in as has write access, including the parent directory.  

Jacques February 13, 2019

Dave,

I'm not sure you're understanding my issue. This is a Windows 10 machine where I'm in the process of installing Jira with the regular install .exe. As far as I know the installation is not a Java process. 

Jira is not running at all when installing. It can't because the Java application files have not yet been setup.

Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2019

Got it now.  In that case, it is probably one of two things.  When you double click the installer, you should right click and "run as administrator." Some of the setup needs elevated permissions.  

If you are doing that, then there is some permission issue or filesystem error on the disk.  As an administrator, try to create a file or directory in the location where you want to install. If you can do that, the installer should, as well.  You could also change the filesystem permissions to be world writable until you get things installed, then tighten up the permissions.

It is also possible that you have a filesystem error. Running chkdsk should be able to correct any filesystem error.

Suggest an answer