JIRA core vs JIRA Software

mdez March 9, 2022

I've upgraded to the latest (8.22) version of Jira Software (the installer says "Atlassian Jira Software", not Core, not Service Desk).  I got Jira up and running but there are some issues with boards.  Further investigation (System --> Applications) reveals that "Jira Software is licensed but not installed."

I've been investigating this for a few hours now and (pulling out hair time) it seems that Jira Software and Jira Core are separate products.  So it seems that, with what I have up and running it's Jira Core and I haven't installed the Jira Software that I needed to upgrade?

Am I understanding this right?  If they were separate products I would expect something that clearly delineates that and I can't seem to understand what's going on.

I need some guidance here.

Please.

A little bit about my situation.  I'm sitting behind a firewall with no outside access so it's not as simple as hitting that little "Download" button next to not installed banner. All installations need to be carried (sneaker-net) to the server.

(note, there's another posting with a similar title, but that just asks a question)

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2022

They are not separate products.

Think of Jira Core as being the "core" system (That's kind of how it got its name). It provides issues, workflows, projects, an app framework, user accounts, a UI, and and and and and.

Jira Software then gets installed on top of Core, adding a load of functions (mostly boards) and the data structures to support them.

You can get installers for Jira Core, Jira Software and Jira Service Management.  But they're not separate products.  The Jira Software and Jira Service Management are better seen as bundles - they are Core + one of the other applications.  It's a little annoying that there is not a fourth installer for Jira Software and Jira Service Manangement (a bundle of all three systems)

What you've done is installed just Core, and then given it a Software licence.  This works ok because a Software licence includes a Core licence (Jira Software can't work without Core supporting it, so Software users get to use Core functions automatically)

Solution: go to Admin -> Manage applications and install Jira Software.  This will grab a copy of the Jira Software application and add it to your Core (without needing to do a manual installation)

mdez March 9, 2022

(edited my original post to add a relevant point.  I've restated blow)

A little bit about my situation. I'm sitting behind a firewall with no outside access.  All installations need to be carried (sneaker-net) to the server.

So it's not as simple as hitting that little "Download" button next to banner (but how I wish it were that simple).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2022

Your choices are:

• Reinstall from scratch, using the bundled installer for Jira Software + Jira Core
  • Go to the Atlassian marketplace and download the relevant version of Jira Software (you'll find it gives you an .obr file rather than one of the install packages) and use that in the manage applications screen (you'll still need to get that through your firewall, but I'm assuming your client machine can download from the marketplace and upload to the Jira server)
mdez March 9, 2022

Okay.  The .obr file seems to have worked (easier than a reinstall) and it has gotten the Jira software uploaded.  This has also cleared up the issues we were having because apparently those were the holes that needed fixing.

Thank you.

Suggest an answer