Insight field to autopopulate based on previous insight field

Claire Berry February 26, 2021

Hi, I posted this on a previous thread but didn't get an answer, hoping someone can help. 

I have a custom insight field referencing the User object in my cmdb, and I wanted to use a custom referenced insight field to display the "Employee ID" field from the User object. So when a user is selected from the first custom field, the referenced field will populate with the employee ID from that User selected. 

On the previous thread I linked above, they say to use a normal insight field instead of the referenced one, and use the IQL to fetch the other field.
I have an insight field for the user. So am I creating a read only insight field for the employee ID? How do I link these 2 fields?

My user field is an insight object custom field with:
objecttype = User

And then I have an insight readonly field that I am trying to pull the Employee ID field from the previous chosen user, not sure what I am supposed to put in her to link it to the other field:

empid.PNG

Does the Employee ID need to be it's own object in the CMDB for me to reference this? Or can anyone advise how I can do this? Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2021

@Claire Berry

I don't think there is a way to create a custom field that is *just* an insight object attribute.  If you want to display the employee ID as a separate custom field, you'll need to add Employee ID as a totally separate custom field, each employee ID would need to be a separate Insight object. 

Thanks,

Kian

Claire Berry March 3, 2021

Hi Kian, 

Thanks for the response!

Do you think something like this could be achieved using a Scripted Field - custom field?

Suggest an answer