Can I create an Insight custom field that populates based on the selection of another Insight field?

Jack Noble August 7, 2019

Hi there. 

I have a colleague who creates a spreadsheet report based on a Jira filter result. Apparently they absolutely have to have it in spreadsheet format (my generous offer of a Power BI report to solve all their problems was rejected). 

They have a "Customer" field, which is an Insight referenced field. The "Customer" object has the customer's organisation on it, which is a reference to another Insight object.

They can query the "Customer" custom field in their Jira filter, and therefore export the name of the value in this field for their report, but they also want the customer's organisation as a separate field. They cannot query this as part of the Jira filter, because it's a field on the Insight object, rather than on their Jira tickets. The "organisation" value is an Insight object in itself however, so here's what I'd like to do: 

When the "Customer" custom field is populated, I'd like a separate read-only custom field to auto-populate with the "organisation" object referenced on the "customer" object. I know that Insight custom fields give the ability to limit objects to populate a field based on another field's selection, AND the ability to populate a read-only field based on certain conditions; I essentially want to combine these two things to automatically populate a read-only field based on the selection in another field. 

Can this be achieved? Is it possible to do this with clever configuration of the existing "read-only" field type? 

Thanks in advance. Happy to explain further if my description is unclear. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nader Nassif
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2019

Hi Jack,

Not sure that your setup will work as you want since you are using a reference field.

The reference field does not hold the object itself but rather points to an object. So probably your IQL will fail each time as no objects are evaluated.

The solution I'd go with is to change the reference field to a regular insight field, then you should fetch an object as a result (not just a pointer).

Then on your Read-only field , setup the assign scope to be Label = ${Customfield_xxxxx} and choose to show the attribute on that field as "Organization". This should give you the desired result :)

Good to mention that there's a bug with read-only fields validating customfield_IDs in our latest version. The bug is noted on ICS-1303 and the development team created a fix. It will be included in the next upgrade ;) 

Cheers!

Nader

Jack Noble August 15, 2019

Thanks, Nader. 

This sounds like an excellent solution. Does this bug manifest itself in the field not showing up? I'm having a rather embarrassing issue whereby I simply can't get the read-only field to show up on my screens, despite the fact that "where is my field?" says it should be there. Hoping this is caused by the bug mentioned above, and not my own ineptitude. 

Nader Nassif
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2019

Hi Jack,

We have released recently a version that remedies this bug. So the issue should not be reproducible anymore ;) 

If you are still struggling with the field not showing data, we can take a look together at your setup. For that, please create a ticket for us at support.riada.io

Cheers!

Nader

Claire Berry February 25, 2021

Hi @Nader Nassif 

I'm looking for somehitng similar here and wondering if you can help. 

I have a custom insight field referencing the User object in the cmdb, and I wanted to use a custom referenced insight field to display the "Employee ID" field from the User object. So when a user is selected from the first custom field, the referenced field will populate with the employee ID from that User selected. 

So if you say to use a normal insight field instead of the referenced one, can you tell me what IQL to use to fetch the other field? 
I have an insight field for the user. So am I creating a read only insight field for the employee ID? How do I link these 2 fields?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events