How to use Bugzilla Import plugin

Jeff Werner October 3, 2019

I'm currently evaluating JIRA for my organization.  I've noticed that it supposedly has the ability to import an entire database from Bugzilla, which we currently use.  I thought that would be a great way to see Jira in action using our actual project data, instead of stuff I make-up along the way.

Here are the first few steps that I'm trying to follow from the Jira documentation:

1. Log in to JIRA as a user with the JIRA Administrators global permission.
  2. Choose > System. Select Import & Export > External System Import to open the Import external projects page.
  3. Select Bugzilla to open the Bugzilla Import Wizard: Setup page.

I run out of gas right there, because there is no "Bugzilla" choice anywhere on the External System Import page.  

I've looked into this a bit, and I gather the Bugzilla import function takes the form of a plugin.  I haven't found the facility to manage plugins to see if I even have it installed, much less if it is active and functioning.  I also am wondering if the version I have does not support this import because I'm only running a 30-day evaluation license. 

1 answer

1 vote
Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2019

Hi @Jeff Werner 

Just check your System plugin list to see if the Bugzilla module is disabled. It is a default plugin and should be pre-installed. It has got nothing to do with the license.

Manage apps --> Manage apps --> System apps --> jira-importers-plugin.

Expand the modules from the option available to right (below screenshot). Check for the module 'BUGZILLA (bugzillaImporter)' is enabled in the list. If not, enable it using the button 'Enable' available to the right.Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 11.03.10 AM.png

Thank-you for your reply.  Mine looks just like yours, with 44 of the 46 modules enabled.  I looked, and the two that are disabled are 'JSON (searchrequest-json)' and 'JSON (issue-json)'.  I also verified that 'Bugzilla (bugzillaImporter)' is present and enabled.  Nevertheless, the only options available on the "Jira import wizard' page are CSV, JSON, and None of these.  I'm just not seeing how to run the Bugzilla plugin.

Could you possibly show me your 'External System Import' screen, with the option visible?  Thanks again.

Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2019

Hi @Jeff Werner 

Here it is.

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 12.26.17 PM.png

Like Eiren Smith likes this

Oh my!  I definitely MUST have something misconfigured, because I'm missing all of those except CSV.  If mine looked like that, I wouldn't be asking for help - I'd have just clicked on Bugzilla.

Thanks for your help.  If you have any other suggestions on what settings I should examine to get Jira to show me all those input options, it would be most appreciated.

Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2019

Hi @Jeff Werner 

Sorry, I am not aware of any other possible configurations available.

Like Jeff Werner likes this

@Gikku  Well I certainly thank-you for your attempts to help! Perhaps someone else will see this thread, and recognize my problem and suggest a solution for it.

Like Gikku likes this
Eiren Smith December 9, 2019

I, too, need this. I want to import bugs (issues/cases) from Bugzilla into Jira.

Eiren Smith December 9, 2019

@Gikku, What version of Jira Software Server (self-hosted) do you run? I just installed 8.5.1 and don't have those options for migrating tickets into Bugzilla.

Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2019

Hi @Eiren Smith 

I am currently using Jira 8.5 v and I couldn't find the option there as you mentioned, but the time I checked this earlier Jira was running on 7.x version.

You can try installing Jira importers plugin though I am not sure since it shows incompatible with Jira 8 version.

I usually prefer importing project data through CSV import since it gives more control over field mapping but can be time consuming depending on the volume/complexity of data to be imported.

Regards
Gikku

Eiren Smith January 16, 2020

Gikku,

Thank you. I have a 7.something Jira version installed locally and it has the import option for Trac that I was looking for. But I have to self-host that Trac instance to do the import. That'll take a lot of work for our IT department.

Before I have them do that, I have a question:

Does anybody know if this option definitely imports comments from Trac tickets into Jira? If it drops the Trac comments, I'm not interested in doing the import.

Suggest an answer