How to reset automatic email template back to default

Enkhtaivan Ganbat February 23, 2018

Our JIRA stopped sending automatic emails on issue events like, update, comment etc., so one of my teammates changed some files and reverted back. I don't know which  files exactly but it didn't help, now our JIRA is sending emails, but the template is all messed up. Below screenshot is an actual email I received from our JIRA instance.

JIRA email.png

2 answers

0 votes
Seppe Pintens
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 9, 2019

Had a similar issue popping up on our JIRA instance. 

Solution to my problem was switching the default outgoing email format to HTML (somehow got put to TXT).

System > User Default Settings > Default Outgoing email format

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2018

Dear @Enkhtaivan Ganbat,

best you stop your instance and delete everything below

WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/

and replay the files form the Jira distribution package.

Before you do, you could make  a diff to see the changes.

So long

Thomas

Enkhtaivan Ganbat February 23, 2018

Hello, 

Thanks for a prompt reply, do you mean I should delete the contents of ../email folder and then copy from Jira distribution package?, where can I download Jira distribution package?

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2018

Dear @Enkhtaivan Ganbat,

exactly. You can download the right version.

So long

Thomas

Enkhtaivan Ganbat March 1, 2018

Hello again,

I downloaded the .zip archive, stopped our jira, deleted the email folder and then copied the email folder from .zip archive, but it didn't have any effect, should I've downloaded the tar.gz archive? . Our jira is running on 64 bit Linux.

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2018

Dear @Enkhtaivan Ganbat,

zip or tar are equal - just a container. 

Can you extract the zip to a temp folder and do following on Linux command line:

diff -u /path/to/live-jira /path/to/temp-jira

Are there still differences? Have you downloaded the same version?

So long

Thomas

Enkhtaivan Ganbat March 4, 2018

Hello again,

Below is the result of comparison between our live jira and the extract of atlassian-jira-software-7.8.0-standalone.zip file

Jira.png

What should I do know?

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2018

Try this instead:

diff -u /opt/atlassian/jira /atlassian-jira-software-7.8.0-standalone
Enkhtaivan Ganbat March 9, 2018

Hello again, below is the screenshot of our JIRA's Application section, which one of these should I download to compare with live?

JIRA-version.png

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2018

Dear @Enkhtaivan Ganbat,

download Jira Service Desk Version 3.5.0 and compare again.

So long

Thomas

Suggest an answer