How to create a template for issue description?

Ronnie Hilmersson March 26, 2019

Hi everyone! 

I try to find out if there are a way to insert a template in the issue description that shows up for everyone when someone wishes to create a new user story. It could be a template where te designteam shoud do something, next part the test team and last one the developer team.

Any ideas? 

Jira Skärmklipp.PNG 

16 answers

41 votes
Zeev Suraski August 26, 2020

So, turns out there IS a way to do it without adding any extra steps or changing the (human) workflow in any way.  It's just not very intuitive to come up with - and that's an understatement.  For the record - I didn't come up with it myself - I was given the tip from a new employee that did it in a previous company.  Still, getting it to work took some time.

Since it's anything but obvious, even once you have the idea - I'm sharing this, both to help others and also - documenting it so that if I have to do it again in the future I won't have to spend as much time tinkering with the system...  Note that this is from memory, so there might be small mistakes here and there - but the gist of it is correct.

Here's what you have to do (no doubt getting it to work is cumbersome to - but once it works - it works perfectly and flawlessly):

- Add a new custom field (a reasonable name would be 'Bug Description'), that contains the template you want to use as the default value (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configure-a-custom-field-991923771.html for details).

- Go to the Field Configurations, select your field configuration, search for your new custom field, select Renderers and pick the Wiki-style renderer.

- Make sure you have a dedicated screen for creating issues of type Bug (Bug Creation Screen).  If you don't (by default you don't) - create one - start by simply creating a copy of your existing issue screen.  In that screen - add the new custom field you created in the previous step, and place it near the Description field.  Once we're done we'd want to remove the original description field altogether, but keep it for now as you're still tinkering with setting things up.

- Once that screen is created - create a screen scheme that associates the Create operation with the new Bug Creation Screen, and then, in your Issue Type screen scheme - associate issues of type Bug with that screen scheme.

If everything worked so far - then when hitting Create and selecting the issue type Bug, you should see the Bug Description field alongside the Description field.  When switching to another non-Bug issue type, it should disappear.  Works so far?  You're half way through:

- If you don't already have a separate workflow for bugs (which you probably don't) - now's the time to create it.  Just copy your existing workflow, and associate it with the issue type Bug.

- In that workflow - edit the Create transition, and add a Post Function that will copy the value of the Bug Description field into the Description field.  Here too - if you don't already have a separate workflow for bugs This is what it would look like after configured:

"The field Description will take the value from Bug Description. Source and destination issue are the same."

NOTE:  That post function must be the first one in order.  It must appear before the "Creates the issue originally." step, as unintuitive as it might sound.  Otherwise, it just wouldn't do anything (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/post-function-on-create-issue-transition-appears-to-not-work-718836210.html).

Publish the workflow, and test it.  If everything is configured properly (and assuming I haven't forgotten any steps - it's been quite a journey), then whatever you put in the Bug Description field, would override anything that's in the built-in Description field (upon submission).  I.e., right after submission - if you open the issue - you should see whatever you put in the Bug Description field, appearing in the Description field (the Bug Description field shouldn't be visible when viewing an existing issue).  Given that the built-in Description field is updated, your workflow for viewing, searching - or doing anything else - remains completely unchanged.  This workaround only affects the issue-creation workflow.

If everything is working - you can now go back to the Bug Creation Screen, edit it, find the built-in Description field, and select Remove, as it's no longer relevant during creation of new bugs.

That should be it!

Let me know if anybody manages to pull it off :)

Zeev

Thibault Lamadieu September 3, 2020

I just did, it does work flawlessly. My only issue is about having to use markup for formatting the default value. Other than that, it works well and should support a variety of scenarios.

Thank you very much for this guide !

Ivan Z September 14, 2020

It took 1 hr to configure but then it works like magic. Thanks, this is smart!

Arvid Kongstad October 26, 2020

Thank you very much, Zeev!

As warned, it took a while to set up but the guide was accurate enough and I managed to achieve the desired result, learning a thing or two about Jira in the process.

Hope you all have a nice day.

Evelien Schut October 27, 2020

Wow!! I managed to get it up and running as well, thank you very much for the extensive guidance!!!

Stephanie Li November 24, 2020

Hi @Zeev Suraski

Thanks so much for your sharing. I have completed the steps in your detailed guidance. It looks good. But I still have two questions left here. Could you please help advise?

1. Publish the workflow, and test it.  If everything is configured properly (and assuming I haven't forgotten any steps - it's been quite a journey), then whatever you put in the Bug Description field, would override anything that's in the built-in Description field (upon submission).  I.e., right after submission - if you open the issue - you should see whatever you put in the Bug Description field, appearing in the Description field (the Bug Description field shouldn't be visible when viewing an existing issue). 

-- After this step, the Bug Description is still showing in my side. Could you please advise did I miss any step?

2. For the last step, when I remove the original build-in description from Bug creation screen, the post action "copy value from Bug Description to Description" seems not work any more. In the creation result, it only show the Bug Description but cannot show the original built-in Description.

Could you please advise?

Thanks so much.

Best Regards

Stephanie

Stephanie Li November 24, 2020

Hi @Zeev Suraski ,

Thanks so much for your sharing. I have completed the configuration following your detailed guidance. Basically it works. But I still have two problems. Could you please help check and advice?

1. Publish the workflow, and test it.  If everything is configured properly (and assuming I haven't forgotten any steps - it's been quite a journey), then whatever you put in the Bug Description field, would override anything that's in the built-in Description field (upon submission).  I.e., right after submission - if you open the issue - you should see whatever you put in the Bug Description field, appearing in the Description field (the Bug Description field shouldn't be visible when viewing an existing issue).

-- After this step, both the Bug Description and build-in Description are shown in the page. How could I make the Bug Description invisible in viewing the issue created?

2. After the last step to remove the build-in Description field from creation screen, the post action "copy the value from Description to Bug Description" seems not work any more. Finally in the issue created, only show the Bug Description, but cannot show the build-in Description. Not sure where I got wrong?

Could you please help advice?

Thanks and Best Regards

Stephanie

Anna Tairova February 24, 2021

Hi @Zeev Suraski , can you please help me.

Once I add Bug Description to Bug Creation Screen, Bug Description field automatically appears on all previously created bugs. I've created a screen scheme to associate create operation with Bug creation screen. But it seems like view operation also follows same Bug creation screen.

I want not to change any old bugs (created in the past), and new change with Bug Description field to occur only for newly created items - for all operations: create, view, edit.

Is there a way to do it? Or I misconfigured something?

Like Elizabeth Jones likes this
Sylvain Leduc April 21, 2021

Hi @Zeev Suraski , thanks :)

Michael Khait June 11, 2021

oh man... this should not be this hard! I hope this will get resolved in the product one day.

Like # people like this
Viet H_ Nguyen October 2, 2021

Hi @Zeev Suraski
Thank you so much for the detailed guide! I applied and it is very successful!

One small comment/suggestion I want to add for this final step:
If everything is working - you can now go back to the Bug Creation Screen, edit it, find the built-in Description field, and select Remove, as it's no longer relevant during creation of new bugs.

-- If you remove it from Bug Creation Screen, the issue after being created won't show the description but instead will only show the Bug Description. I suggest not to do this but instead, go into the issue, click "Configuration" on the right-hand side under the "Details" box, and drag the Bug Description to "Hidden Fields". This will apply to all of the issues and will make all of the issues only show the built-in description field with all the copied content from Bug DescriptionScreenshot 2021-10-03 at 12.50.16 AM.png

Hope this helps to add into an already valuable guide!

Best,

Viet

Viet H_ Nguyen October 2, 2021

Hi @Stephanie Li 

I think you have the same trouble which I faced. Probably the additional suggestion above will help you!

Best,

Viet

Eric Jaskolka November 16, 2021

@Viet H_ Nguyen  I followed the process and your recommendation to hide the Bug Description field.  But there are only two choices, Hide if Empty or permanently hide.

1. Hide if Empty will not work because the original template has the markup.

2. Permanently hide then removes it from the Create Modal as well.

Am I missing something?

Eric Jaskolka November 16, 2021

@Viet H_ Nguyen After sending my last comment, I figured it out. (I am only performing my testing with the Bug type at this time)

1. Add Automation rule to clear out the Bug Description field Capture.JPG

2. Configure the field Bug Description to Hide when Empty.

Whether you create the new Bug through the Create Modal, in the Backlog or through the Epic - create new issue; all perform the same functionally.

Like Christoph Jähnigen likes this
Tim Harsch May 5, 2022

This path did not work for me.   I ran into this issue at the add Post Function step: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Work-Management-Questions/Custom-fields-not-available-in-quot-Copy-Value-From-Other-Field/qaq-p/1777892

Apparently you have to have one of the paid plugins jsu or jmse.  Since the bug was filed just last August (2021)  I'm guessing this is a new barrier to accomplishing the task @Zeev Suraski suggests.

Parva C. - Narva Software September 12, 2022

Hi everyone,

If you want easier way to add summary and description templates instead of this workaround, we released a new app: 

Issue Template for Jira

Please try it out and let us know if you face any issues.

Tenzing Doleck October 27, 2022

Hi I was able to configure this - but with an outstanding issue. 

The post function works in that it is copying the customdescription field to the description field . However it only does so once ticket is done being created . Not at the moment when you hit create ..

So now when I hit create-- the description field is still bank 

This is my set up : 

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 11.19.27 AM.png

Dennis Christilaw January 4, 2023

THANK YOU!!! Thankfully, I had most of the work done already (separate workflows, screens and all that), so I just had to plug in the Workflow part and get my fields created.

I can say that this should NOT be this hard, but the fact that there is a viable workaround like this makes it work for me. I have one other project that this is going to go into and aI have to build everything for that one, so that will take a while.

Thanks again!

Julian Kühnel January 11, 2023

This worked, expect for the workflow change. The reason is that it seems that you can only select standard fields. The custom description field isn't showing up (anymore).

Screenshot_1.png

Dennis Christilaw January 11, 2023

This is really odd. I would check your Field Configuration. Make sure it is associated with the Screen you are working on. I did this BOTH times I have implemented this and have not had any issues with selecting a custom field.

Another thing, don't select from the dropdown, start typing the field name and see if it shows up that way.

Otherwise, not sure why Custom Fields are not showing up in the dropdown. Mine shows ALL my fields. Custom and Standard.

Like # people like this
Julian Kühnel January 11, 2023

> Another thing, don't select from the dropdown, start typing the field name and see if it shows up that way.

Worth a million thanks! Indeed, they were not showing up initially but after typing in it also shows custom fields. Thanks a lot!

Like Dennis Christilaw likes this
12 votes
Michael Haywood March 26, 2020

Maybe not a perfect solution, but we ended up using the "free" Automation tools built into JIRA. So when someone creates an issue, it adds our template details to the issue description and puts the original description into a section of the template. It also applies the labels we need. 

Not perfect in that it requires first creating the issue, then you get the template, but works for us!

Joshua Urban May 15, 2020

Hey Michael- do you have any more info on this? Curious about this implementation.

Michael Haywood May 15, 2020

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/features/automation Start here.

Basically, we setup an automation to trigger on Story/Bug creation. Then told it to add the labels we wanted, assign it to a person, add additional text to the description, etc...

The only downside is if you're using the 'Create' modal, you won't see all this until after the story is created. It's most helpful to our users who insert stories using the add feature at the bottom of the backlog. Once you enter the story and hit save, clicking it to open it will show all the automation stuff.

Like Steve Lemire likes this
Aline Chapman July 20, 2020

@Michael Haywood I am using the same solution you describe, however how were you able to "add additional text to the description"? This is the missing part for me.

I appreciate if you can share this information.

Like Lina Fjeldgård likes this
Michael Haywood July 21, 2020

example-automation.pngHere is an example of how we did it. {{issue.description}} is what the person typed in when first creating the issue.

Like # people like this
Aline Chapman July 21, 2020

That's exactly what I have in place. Thanks for sharing!

It does add the template upon creation, but if when creating the issue the users adds text in the description field, then the automation does not remove the user entered text (which is good).
I was trying to see if the automation could add the template in addition to leaving what the user entered in the description field. Do you know if that is possible? Thanks again!

Like eyal_silverstein likes this
Michael Haywood July 21, 2020

I would think the  {{issue.description}} is what would handle that. Wherever we have that inserted into our templates is where the original user-entered description shows up after the automation runs.

Aline Chapman July 21, 2020

I was missing this part: {{issue.description}}

Now that I added it it works as intended. Thanks again for your assistance!

Mick van Breukelen October 22, 2020

@Michael Haywood Oh my, this is almost perfectly what I currently need!!

Thank you so much for sharing.

4 votes
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2019

Hi Ronnie

Out of the box this is not possible in Jira.

There are multiple ways to implement this functionality with apps. @Kumar already explained one way.

You could also use one of these apps:

These are the ones I know. If you search in the Atlassian Marketplace you maybe find a few more.

Cheers
Niklas

2 votes
Ta Minh Thuy May 20, 2021

Hi guys,

No need to use add-on in this case. All you need is creating a custom field name with the same name, Description and in the Field configuration, you render the field to make it wiki :)

It will looks exactly the system field Description :) From this newly created custom field, you can add template as you wish.

I did it!

1.png

Fábio Magalhães Costa November 29, 2022

Worked for me! Thanks!

Like Ta Minh Thuy likes this
1 vote
Scot Angus September 10, 2023

Just look at all the time hundreds of people have spent trying to do what should be really simple for Atlassian to implement. Companies agree to buy the software even though it doesn't do the most fundamental things teams need it to do. This is because "teams" don't buy the software... the executives do, and this template thing... well that's not important to them.

1 vote
Parva C. - Narva Software September 13, 2022

Hi everyone,

We just released an app: Issue Template for Jira

It allows defining template for summary and description fields will will be automatically pre-filled for all users when they open the create issue window.

There exists solution for team managed projects like other users have posted, however our app also makes it possible for company managed projects.

This app is currently in beta. You can install it free from Atlassian Marketplace.

Please try it out and give us feedback.

Regards,

Parva

See the demo template in issue create window screenshot below👇Bug-template-issue-create-II.png

Catherine Ojok January 16, 2023

I've just set this up and it looks like it will save all the headache of the long workaround of the top answer here. Thank you for doing this!

Dennis Christilaw January 16, 2023

This is a great solution, as long as it's free. If they add a cost to it using the Atlassian licensing model (per user), then it's going to outlive it's usefulness to cost benefits in comparison to just doing the leg work on the free fix.

Just my thoughts.

1 vote
dagny wicklund February 8, 2022

Hi! 
First off, thank you for detailed description! 
I got all the way to add a Post Function that will copy the value of the Bug Description field into the Description field. But I am not able to do that. I don't have any post function called Copy value from field to field. I tried googling this, and from what I can see this is only available in Jira cloud. Is that really so? And if so, does anyone have any suggestions for how to create a template for issue description on prem?

Thanks

1 vote
Pavel Pavlovsky_AppLiger_ March 26, 2019

Hi @Ronnie Hilmersson ,

You can also try Easy Templates for Jira Issues add-on . Your team will be able to create Jira tickets (even with subtasks) from saved templates like Stories, Bug reports and other processes.

Cheers,

Pavel

1 vote
Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2019

Hi @Ronnie Hilmersson   by using the Behaviour Plugin you can a default description 

Admin Settings > Add-ons > Behaviours > Give a name and Add > Right Side choose Fields >

Select Description  and add below Script with Template >  Save it > come out from that

Window > Choose add Mapping in that Select Project and Issue type and save it.

def desc = getFieldById("description") 

def defaultValue = """ // ...Start Adding the Default Template       

End Here..""".replaceAll(/    /, '')

if (!underlyingIssue?.description) {    

desc.setFormValue(defaultValue)

}

When you try to create that project Issue it will show you default given template in Description Field .

I hope it Helps.

Thanks,

Kumar

Vineela Durbha August 26, 2020

Hi Kumar,

I tried the above as suggested by you but it didnt set any default text on description field. Any idea where is it going wrong?

Rafi Barry January 15, 2022

Hi, I know it's been a while since this last answer..
I've tried this solution as well, so the "description" field is using the inserted template. But now, each time text is added in newly opened bugs, while using this template, after selecting a different field to fill, the "Description" field returns to it's default state, and erase the user's inserted text...
Any ideas how to overcome this problem/ or there is a solution for that?
Thanks,
Rafi.

0 votes
nikolaos.voulgaridis June 21, 2023

Hello together,
I don't know if I'm in the right place.
It's about Jira tickets. Some tickets are displayed in tables in the description (HTML). Sometimes the texts are not displayed correctly. Can someone help me here?

0 votes
Roman Tsoi November 28, 2022

@Parva C. - Narva Software I don't have your widget working. Can you help me? Can you write your email, I'll get back to you. The sooner the better)

Parva C. - Narva Software December 6, 2022

Hi Roman,

For any issues related to our app Issue Template for Jira, you can send us an email at support@bitwelt.atlassian.net

Regards,

Parva

0 votes
Adnan Ali August 28, 2022

This is the first step in the process. Now is the time for the workflow to be published and tested.  My journey has been quite a journey - I still haven't forgotten a step - and I haven't forgotten a step yet. It is important to note that, once all of the settings have been configured, whatever you put in the Bug Description field overrides anything that is already in the built-in Description field (upon submission).  I would like to stress that if you open an issue after submitting it, whatever you put in the Bug Description field should appear in the Description field (the Bug Description field should not be visible when viewing the existing issue). 

As far as I can tell, after this step, the Bug Description is still intact on my side of things. Would you mind letting me know if there is anything that I have missed in the process?

The second is the most important. When I remove the original description from the Bug creation screen, it appears that the post action to "copy value from Bug Description to Description" no longer works. In the creation result, a Bug Description is displayed, but it is not displayed along with the original built-in description that was inserted by the developer.

0 votes
Rachel Irving July 20, 2022

A side effect of implementing this seems to be when cloning an issue the default template overwrites the cloned issue's description.  Has anybody worked around this issue?

0 votes
Deleted user June 22, 2022

It might be a silly question but does this apply to Jira Cloud as well?

Michael Haywood June 22, 2022

I can confirm my solution above works on Cloud. I haven't tested any of the others. Two years later and we are still using this method and works well for our team.

Tenzing Doleck October 27, 2022

Hi I was able to configure this - but with an outstanding issue. 

The post function works in that it is copying the customdescirption field to the description field . However it only does so once ticket is done being created . Not at the moment when you hit create ..

So now when I hit create-- the description field is still bank 

This is my set up : 

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 11.19.27 AM.png

0 votes
Paul Rowlands July 16, 2020

A simple approach is to create a dummy ticket and clone from that...

0 votes
Ronnie Hilmersson March 27, 2019

Hi!

Thanks everyone! It was exactly what I was looking for! 

Best regards/Ronnie

Michael Haywood December 11, 2019

Which solution did you end up using?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer