How to archive off attachments to Jira issues along with exporting the issues

kdickason July 29, 2021

We want to remove a project from Jira that is no longer active or needed.  The project contains about 2000 issues, and many of the issues have attached files, typically, PPT, .DOC, .PDF).  Is there a way to archive off the attachments along with creating an export of the issues?   NOTE:  we are NOT re-importing this into another Jira instance, so this is not a Backup and Restore issue. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2021

Hi @kdickason 

There are 2 ways I can recommend using either REST API or using Java API with the help of ScriptRunner for Jira.

Attachments are stored within a specific folder with a number which corresponds to a file name. This information is stored in the database. So using a script you can translate those ids to actual file names and get their paths and write a script to dump them to a separate location.

Ravi

kdickason July 29, 2021

I saw this post after making mine.  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Need-to-export-all-attachments-from-a-single-Project-JIRA-Cloud/qaq-p/717930  I was planning to use the instructions here to pull them out and rename them.  Do you believe this works as written?

kdickason July 29, 2021

Note that we are using Jira Server (and these instructions indicate Cloud).  Would that impact how these are written?

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2021

Yes the examples on that page should work and if you are on server then you have more options because you have direct access to your files and database to translate the ids to file names (if needed).

kdickason July 29, 2021

Thank you!!

Suggest an answer