How can a user identify the name of a field from a custom field ID?

Nancy Bonanno March 3, 2021

So if user #1 creates and shares a filter using custom field IDs, like cf[21102], how does user #2 know which field is being referred to?  How does he figure out that is really "International Tax Code" or whatever the name is?  

Thanks for any help.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ivan Shkabara March 3, 2021

1. Press F12 in browser;

2. Press CTRL + SHIFT + C combo;

3. Select required field;

4. Get info from web-console (usually startsWith( "customfield_xxxxx" ).

I'm in Chrome on Windows.  F12 opens the inspector but CTRL+SHIFT+C doesn't do anything.  What should that take me too.

If I use ELEMENTS in the inspector and highlight the customfield ID, it just highlights this in the inspector:

<textarea id="advanced-search" class="textarea search-entry advanced-search ajs-dirty-warning-exempt" name="jql" style="overflow: hidden; height: 30px;" autocomplete="off"></textarea>

I THOUGHT using the inspector might work, but I can't figure out how yet!  Thanks.

I used ELEMENTS and control-f to find 21102 and it works...SOMETIMES.  I have no idea what the difference is but sometimes, I find the name in the last set of variables, but sometimes it highlights all the variables so I can't see the one I want.  Wierd.

Any suggestions for improvement?  Thank you again!

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2021

Hi Nancy,

You can go edit any Custom Field in your list.

Then while on that URL, just change the custom field ID number in the URL Address to the one in question and hit enter. 

It will show you the name then. 

Nancy Bonanno March 5, 2021

But that only works for Admins, right?  I'm trying to figure out how a USER can get the custom field name.   

Thanks for the response.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2021

Correct. But where are you using custom field IDs that regular users would see those?

Nancy Bonanno April 1, 2021

Sorry I missed your reply.  We had a sort of rogue user who had too many rights and created a bunch of filters using the customfield ID.  We've removed the rights but now we run into users who don't know what those filters are showing.  At some point I can go fix them but it would be a lot easier if I could give the users a way to look up what it's referring to.

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2021

The other option is to create a spreadsheet or document online somewhere for your users that shows the values  - then they can just look them up there. It's more trouble for you (or an Admin maybe?) to do that, but it would help the users. 

0 votes
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2021

Hi Nancy,

I would recommend just using the API to get your list of fields and cross reference with the find feature of an os (control/Command F)
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-find-id-for-custom-field-s-744522503.html

Best,
Clark

So a user can't do that, only an Admin, right?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events