How can I integrate JIRA with ServiceNow by using only Restbased calls without using SOAP?

ravi teja February 7, 2017

5 answers

5 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 3, 2019

(Spoiler alert - I'm with the team that develops the product - so this is a blatant pitch for our product)

Have a look at Exalate - which provides a ServiceNow connector

It provides

• Flexibility through a scripting facility allowing to implement the most demanding mapping, filtering and transformation requirements

• Autonomy through its distributed architecture. The configuration is done for the local tracker such that configuration changes don’t affect remote issue trackers

• Reliability through a transactional synchronization engine allowing to pause and resume any ongoing synchronization requests~

• Reach  - allow to integrate with Jira (all deployment models) Zendesk, Github, HP ALM/QC and new upcoming integrations

More info - book a demo here

Francis

Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2019

Up voting solution - out of the suggestions listed I found Exalate to be quite user friendly and required the least administrative effort to use. 

Like # people like this
2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2017

"Integrate" is a "suitcase word" - it describes a concept well, but we can't really tell you anything about the contents until you open the suitcase. We need more detail.

What do you want from the integration?  When update X is done, Y happens - what are X and Y for you?

ravi teja February 11, 2017

Hi Nic,

Something like this if an organisation is using both the ticketing tools Servicenow and JIRA. Let us suppose and incident has been created using Serviceno, how to integrate ServiceNow with JIRA so that same incident is updated in onsite JIRA server(not cloud) and further if any updates made on JIRA end should also reflect on servicenow.

Are there any settings that servicenow provide to integrate with JIRA?

Do both servicenow and JIRA has any API's to post or get data between each other?

Are there any example code snippets or sample integration done earlier between these two agents?

-RT

Like Ginny Kennedy likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2017

Ok, great, you'll need to write code in ServiceNow that calls the JIRA REST interface to create and update incidents in JIRA, and hen some code in JIRA (webhooks and maybe post-functions) to do the same in SeviceNow over the remote API for that.

(As a dutiful Atlassian advocate, I should add that a far easier and better option is to add JIRA Service Desk to your JIRA installation)

Like Sumit Saini likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2017

Looks like a good approach to me.

nithishgunda March 26, 2018

Hello Nic,

I used Jira POC and successfully build one way of integration(SN-->JIra) but when Jira team tries to send a ticket to ServiceNow it throws 401 error. I checked username and password are correct and the user has correct roles.

Error:

HTTP client-callbacks:thread-108 WARN anonymous     [c.a.webhooks.plugin.PublishTaskFactoryImpl$PublishTaskImpl] Client error - 401 when posting to webhook at '______https://xxxx.service-now.com/api/now/import/u_jira

I found this in ServiceNow logs: WARNING *** WARNING *** Required HTTP authorization header (Authorization) not present.

As a ServiceNow developer, I provide them with our REST endpoint and username, password. 

Jira team is using webhooks to connect to ServiceNow where there are no fields to pass authentication parameters.

How to fix this.

Regards,

Nithish

Prasanjeet March 27, 2019

please tell me how to integrate serviceNow with jira by using Webhook all step

Sakshi Aggarwal May 5, 2019

Hey Nitish,

Were you able to figure out a solution/workaround for this authentication error?

Thanks!
Sakshi

Nagireddy July 15, 2019

is the update set download link working for you ?

1 vote
Oliver Lee September 11, 2019

Hey Ravi,

If you are looking to integrate JIRA with ServiceNow by using only Rest-based calls without using SOAP, check out the link below:

Connect Jira to ServiceNow

It's simple, it's easy. You can set up the integration in less than 2 minutes. 

Hope this helps :)

1 vote
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 18, 2019
1 vote
Dan Walker June 2, 2019

Hi Guys, 

i do not recommend home-grown development !

If you are looking for bi-directional integration with attachments synchronization, I truly recommend zigiwave integration hub. 

https://zigiwave.com/jira-servicenow-integration/

they have a great solution for a fair price and world-class support. 

their software requires an additional small VM, but that is the only way to get a perfect 2 ways integration. 

my 2 cents..

Suggest an answer