How can I configure the automatic responsible user for an issue?

Laura November 11, 2019

The informer is automatically set when an issue is created. I would like to set automatically the responsible user too

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2019

Hi Laura,

one of the options is to set an automatic default assignee for the project -> that means when an issue is created in that project it automatically assigns to that user.

You can set it up when you:

- Go to the project -> Open project settings

- then in Project settings/Details, there is this config:

Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 17.34.32.png

- and you can select to automatically assign to project lead

Another option can be to use Components, then you can assign created issues automatically to component lead. More info here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/organizing-work-with-components-764478279.html

There is also a similar discussion: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/automatically-assign-a-new-issue-to-me/qaq-p/741971

Laura November 11, 2019

Hi Nikki,

Thank you for the answer! I already knew about the first option but it's not what I need.

The second option fits better and I didn't know it, thanks!

But still not exactly what I need, because I have to assigne the component anyway...

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

There is another option to assign every issue to a specific user from Workflows:

1. Go to Jira settings  -> Issues -> Workflows

- there you need to find a workflow for "Create issue" (can be active or inactive)

- click on edit

2. Create a new transition that goes from open to open status and then click on Post functions option in the menu.

Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 16.05.54.png

3. Then you edit "The Assignee of the issue will be set to..." transition:

Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 16.17.33.png

4. And you'll get this setup form where you can set to which user you want to assign

Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 16.02.29.png

Then save and make sure you make this workflow public to apply.

Let me know if this works it seemed to be quite complicated 🤯

Laura November 12, 2019

I tried a post-function already, not that one, but one which says "assigne the current user" which is what I need.

However, it doesn't work :( It works when i set a post-function in that same transaction to insert a description, but the one that I want, is not working

Anyway, I learned a lot and discovered other tools, thank you!!

Daniele Gianetti November 23, 2021

Hello,

I have the very same problem when using post function as that "The Assignee of the issue will be set to ........" doesn't work and actually ends up breaking the whole set of post-functions.

Is this a known bug or what? I can see many others have the same issue.

Daniele

Suggest an answer