How I can delete a project key?

marionunes August 8, 2016

I deleted a project and now I want to create another with the same name and I need to use the same project key, but I can't do it because JIRA say me that project key exists.

Any suggestion?

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

You need to clear the old key out of the database.  But, it's being retained to prevent you damaging your historical data - it's only safe to clear the old key out if you have never moved issues from the deleted project out to anywhere else (or, if you have, you delete them as well)

cgadade July 10, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

We are using Mysql database,which command will delete project key from database.?Can you please help us.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2020

Check the table "movedissues" first.  If your project key is in there, you're going to need to do some external checks.

1 vote
Yogesh Mude[Jira]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2016

Hi @Mario Nunes

see, if you have deleted the project that time related project key also deleted.

If you want to edit the already exist project then you should be choose Edit project not delete the project.

as @Ligia Cindea mentioned above comment might be it works once you have performed Re-indexing.

1 vote
Ligia Merciu August 8, 2016

Hi, Mario

Maybe a re-index before would help.

0 votes
marionunes August 8, 2016

I did it, but doesn't work.

Suggest an answer