Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Getting Text of ProForma Multiple Choice Values via Jira Automation

Edited

Hello Community,

We are using ProForma to create forms. I am attempting to use Jira Automation to populate the description field of a Jira issue with a number of ProForma form field values. I can get the text values for everything other than multiple choice. 

In referencing the documentation here, https://docs.thinktilt.com/proforma/automation-for-jira-server, it says the text is stored as 

issue.properties."proforma.forms.i1".questions.choices

However, try as I might, I cannot figure out the proper structure to access the text values that were selected.

For example, I've tried this where 2 is the confirmed question ID: {{issue.properties."proforma.forms.i1".questions.choices.2.choices.get(0)}}

and 

{{issue.properties."proforma.forms.i1".state.answers.2.questions.choices.get(0)}}

and many others. 

Any tips?

1 answer

0 votes

Hi @Andrew Krug 

First thing, a disclaimer I am using Jira Cloud and am not using ProForma.  With that out of the way...

Looking at that documentation, there are a few warnings and disclaimers about what is not supported yet.  As you are probably paying for this tool perhaps submit a support ticket to the vendor to see what they say.

While waiting for an answer, I recommend starting from the simplest example from the vendor documentation, writing the results to the audit log, and incrementally drilling down to find the data.  For example, try this to see how many values are in that choices field selected:

{{issue.properties."proforma.forms.i1".questions.choices.size|0}}

And depending upon how they implemented the addon, you may be able to identify the correct smart values/path to use with this how-to article from Atlassian:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field-993924665.html

That same documentation page also describes how to use the preview of their forms builder to learn the JSON structure.

Kind regards,
Bill

Hey @Bill Sheboy , thanks for the reply.

I've been able to successfully write to the audit log and look into the JSON. In the JSON the text value is not something that exists. Just the numerical value of the choice along with the question id. I assume that's why the disclaimer are present and states "The text of the selected choice value is stored is difficult for Automation for Jira to retrieve".

However, the documentation also declares the text of the value is stored as a specific entity property with a structure. It seems like others have figured it out somehow researching other posts. But solutions aren't posted except for one that I found which was years old and doesn't seem to work anymore.  

Maybe it's a Schrödinger property, haha. It both exists and doesn't at the same time. 

Ha!

If you found an old post indicating someone figured this out, I recommend replying to that post and ask for more info from the person.

And as the vendor states it is possible/difficult, it seems reasonable you could ask them for an example by their support channel...if you are on the paid license.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Online AMA this week: Your project management questions answered by Jira Design Lead James Rotanson

We know that great teams require amazing project management chops. It's no surprise that great teams who use Jira have strong project managers, effective workflows, and secrets that bring planning ...

184 views 1 6
Read article

Atlassian Community Events