Error message when trying to add a watcher to an issue

Julien Duc June 3, 2020

Hi!

I'm trying to add a watcher to an issue, but every time I get this error message:

"We couldn't add that watcher
Check your connection, then give it another try."

I also tried using the old view, by adding ?oldIssueView=true at the end of the URL, but no luck...

When using the old view, I get another error message:

"There was an error adding watcher
The user X does not have permission to view this issue. This user will not be added to the watch list."

So, I guess I have the permission to "Manage Watchers" (otherwise I imagine I wouldn't see the option to add watchers), but it doesn't seem to work?

Has anyone faced this issue already?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2 answers

1 vote
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2020

Hello @Julien Duc welcome to the community. Based on the error from the old view it appears that the user doesn't have browse permissions on the project. In order to watch an issue the user must have access to the project first. Ensure that's is the case and let me know how it goes

Julien Duc June 8, 2020

Hi @Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group thanks! I looked into it, but what I don't understand is that the user in question is member of a team that has browse permissions on the project... so, in theory, I should be able to add him as a watcher, but I can't.

Could the problem come from somewhere else?

Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2020

Sounds like it might be the case. Have you checked the user testing @John Funk recommendation? Please send some screenshots if you can to see your current setup

Raj Goshikonda November 9, 2022

Hi Hernan,

Even user has Browse project access couldn't add watch list?

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2020

Hi Julien,

Take a look at the Permission Scheme for the project. And while there, you can run the permission helper for that user to see why they are not allowed to see the issue. That will guide you to the solution for the user to be able to see the issue. 

Suggest an answer