Do I have to update the Jira Core from 8.6.1 to 8.11.0?

JConstantine August 4, 2020

Do I have to update the Jira Core from 8.6.1 to 8.11.0 if I have:

1) Jira Service Desk 4.6.1

2) Jira Software 8.6.1

Are there any special requirements for the update so I won't lose my data?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2020

Hi Lena,

I see you've been through this process before, as you posted a similar question last year.

The good news is that the process is roughly the same, although in this case you can jump directly from 8.6 to 8.11 whereas in the last upgrade, you might have had to do an additional upgrade to get some required upgrade steps. Those aren't a problem anymore, so you can go directly to your desired version.

Definitely worth checking into the supported platforms (i.e. database version) mentioned by @Italo Qualisoni [e-Core] ! Other than that, the instructions provided last year still apply:

1 - If you're upgrading both Jira Core/Software and Jira Service Desk, upgrade Jira Core/Software only. You'll later upgrade Service Desk directly in Jira, without a separate installer.

2 - Upgrade JIRA Core/Software first, and then JIRA Service Desk

3 (Maybe at first install Jira and update it to the last version and then install ServiceDesk?) - Yes, that's the correct approach as described in the previous steps

4 - Always generate a backup from your current JIRA version before upgrading it. In case your upgrade may fail, you can roll-up to the previous version.

You can check more details of the steps in the documentation below:

Upgrading Jira Server (installer)

Cheers,
Daniel

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2020

There's no special requirements.  The upgrade doc for Core covers everything, and the upgrade process is done in-place - you won't lose any data.

Of course, before upgrading production, you should

• Test it all
  • Take a backup of production

But the upgrade should be straightforward for you on these versions.

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2020

I also think the key for a successful upgrade is testing in a staging environment.

You should check if your application database is supported in 8.11, it seems that some databases are no longer supported in 8.11 when I compared with 8.6 supported platform:

• PostgreSQL 9.5 and 9.4  are not supported in 8.11
  • Oracle 12c R1 are not supported in 8.11
  •  SQL Server 2012 are not supported in 8.11

If you are using one of these databases you will need to consider upgrade it prior the upgrade.

Supported platforms 8.11

Supported platforms 8.6

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events