Different Default Custom Field Values for each Issue Type (within a Project)

GR_MW March 22, 2023

Simple request:

Within a project, I have custom fields.  I would like to have default values for some of those which will differ depending on issue type selected

So far I can't find any way to achieve this. 

I've looked at field contexts and field schemes, and field configuration schemes, and neither of those seem capable of handling this requirement. 

3 answers

0 votes
Cecille Maquito
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2023

Hello @GR_MW -I just saw this post, I am afraid this is not feasible at the moment.
This enhancement request is opened to track this feature. 

The workaround is already mentioned previously, which is to create multiple custom fields to use per issue type within the project. 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

Hi @GR_MW  - there is no way to do that. You can’t have separate default values per context. You would need to create multiple custom fields.

GR_MW March 22, 2023

Yes, I was afraid of that, and creating/duplicating custom fields was going to be my last-ditch workaround if there's no other way. It just feels really clunky to do that. 

Do you know if there's a reason it's not configurable via field configurations?  Seems the logical place for it to live. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

I have wondered that myself - but I have no idea why it's not there. 

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

Hi @GR_MW and welcome to the community!

This is possible with field configurations.  It would work like this:

1. Create Field Configurations for each of the issue types 
  2. Create a Field Configuration Scheme and assign all of the field configurations created in step 1 to their respective issue type
  3. In your project, change the Field Configuration Scheme to the one created in step 2
GR_MW March 22, 2023

Thanks Mark for taking a look.

I don't see how or where, in a field configuration, one can specify "default values" for a field.

Can you please point me to any documentation that shows that?

It would be great if that worked, as I have already set up Field Configurations for each issue type, and a Field Configuration Scheme(s) for them.  These work great for customizing field descriptions, hiding fields, and marking fields required (or not). 

I just don't see any place within those structures to specify different default values

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

Whoops - Sorry I just realized that field configuration is description only.  You said that you tried field contexts.  Did you explicitly set each context for issue type and that still didn't work?

Note - As soon as you start setting issue type field contexts, you've basically taken that field away from other projects that want to use it differently.

GR_MW March 22, 2023

Yes, I looked into contexts - and unless I have missed it, or misunderstood, the docs say that we can have only one field context within a project (though not sure why).

That rules out this method as > 1 context would be required in order to differ the defaults by issue type.

I guess a workaround (though, a bad one) would be to just duplicate fields where we need to customize the default by issue type. But that's tedious and leads to clutter.

Suggest an answer