Can we use one email handler for multiple projects??

Hitesh Kolli October 23, 2019

We already have multiple email handlers associated to their respective projects. We are having a requirement of having more email handlers in our upcoming projects, But we came across a discussion where it says if we have multiple email handlers will slow down the JIRA. So is there a way where we can use one email handler to multiple projects.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2019

Hi @Hitesh Kolli 

I guess you can create multiple folders in the mailbox dedicated to each project and map the settings accordingly (instead of INBOX). This way you can find a way to arrange mail to fall into the folders as per the destination project, may be outlook rules.

So you will have one mail handler but tagged to multiple projects, though I haven't tried the option.

Hitesh Kolli October 23, 2019

Hi @Gikku 

Can you please be more specific in how this is process will be helpful in creating new issues or editing the existing issues using the same mail handler in multiple projects. 

Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2019

Hi @Hitesh Kolli 

Check the Step No. 8 mentioned in the documentation

It is applicable for IMAP server only. There you can specify from which folder the mails to be retrieved instead of INBOX. So you can create multiple folders here in the mailbox for different projects and configure the mail handler to fetch the issues from their respective folders.

This is the best possible way I can think of the native Jira.

If you want to try some plugins, Smart Email handler for Jira would be an option.

Hitesh Kolli October 24, 2019

@Gikku  Thank you. We will look into this info.

Suggest an answer