Automation from a project affects another one

Eric Kalubi November 20, 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to create a rule that starts when an issue is transitioned from status A to B.

When that happens, I wish to transition another issue's status from C to D, belonging to another project.

Whenever I try to create said rule, it says that the projects can only be modified in the global administration.

My problem is that I can't seem to find that global administration tab regarding the automation rule details.

Thank you for your help.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Yvan Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 24, 2019

Hi Eric,

This may be possible depending on the relationship between on finding issue C, when running the transition from A-B. You'd have to use our branch component to find that issue, for example you could use JQL to search based on an issue field in A/B, or perhaps it's a linked issue.

You'd also have to use a "Global rule" as you mentioned, since you would be transitioning issues across projects. You can find out global rule section by the following links: "System settings" > "Automation rules", if you are on a project specific automation page then you should also see a link to "Global administration". If you can't see it then you're already on our global admin page, unless you are not a global admin of Jira.

We'd have to get a screenshot of your rule to provide further help on this issue, and I suggest raising a support request here since it's quite a specific use case: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1

Cheers,
Yvan 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2019

Hello Eric,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

With the details you provided, I tried to create an automation in my local environment, but I’m afraid that Automation for Jira doesn’t support this type of transition.

On WHEN we can add two statuses, but on THEN we can only select one status and it’s also complicated to set both projects for the automation to run correctly.

Also, I believe I’m following the wrong steps here because the error didn’t show. Can you please send us a screenshot of the error? If possible, send us a screenshot of the automation for us to recreate it here and test.

Regards,
Angélica

Eric Kalubi November 26, 2019

Thank you for your reply,

I somehow managed to make it work even if it did not before.

Thank you once again for your time and your answer.

Eric

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer