Are all jira plugin compatible with jira core ?

Sébastien RATEL December 8, 2020

Hi,

Question is in the title :)

I can not see any jira core compatibility on plugin so I was wondering if it's because every plugin is compatible with jira core ?

Regards

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2020

Hi Sébastien,

Just remember that Jira Core is basically business projects, so any plugin related to other things such as Sprints and Burndown charts probably don't apply. But for the most part everything else should. You get free trials with each plugin, so I would say, just give them a try. 

Sébastien RATEL December 8, 2020

Hi John,

Thanks a lot for your answer. 

Trying a plugin could help but we are currently deciding which jira product is better for our client. Jira core seems to be a perfect candidate but only if gant and time tracking plugins do work with jira core.

From your answer I assume it should, but perhaps it will be safer to ask any plugin editor just to be sure.

Regards

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2020

Yes, that will work. But you can also try it out on your instance as well to know for sure how it works. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2020

Technically, yes and no.

Plugins only work when they are installed into a framework built to run them.  Jira Core is the heart of the Jira "ecosystem" and part of it is that framework for plugins.

So, technically, yes, all plugins are compatible with Core.  They have to be, it's Core that runs them!  However, some of them use or apply to functions that are not natively in Core.  If a plugin is for Service Desk or Software, then it needs the relevant application installed.  It will still be compatible with Core, but it won't actually do anything (possibly not even load, if the authors have got their dependency checks right)

I'm guessing you're not asking about version compatibility here, so I won't ramble about the technical "no" part of the answer (just give an example:  Scriptrunner version 2.x won't work on Jira Core 8.5, but a later version of Scriptrunner will)

Suggest an answer